Author Topic: Custom Tank  (Read 3657 times)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Custom Tank
« on: March 17, 2012, 08:12:45 AM »
Just finished my tank. It's the one for my next Simplex!! The capacity computes out to 2.4 gallons. I plan to use the early style seat mount and so I placed the filler neck between the pipes. Looking for a rolling chassis now. Along the way I'll pick away at what I can. I sheared the middle out and plasma cut the sides and spun up the neck and cap. It's TIG welded. Also spun up a nice 1/8" pipe bung for the fuel outlet. I want to put together a Simplex that still has the 'lines' of one but custom and new so I can ride it all I want. The big thing now is to develope a kickstart for 5hp briggs.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Custom Tank
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 08:46:01 AM »
Tom, that thing is a beauty!  Do you want the kickstart self contained on the motor, or are you going to use the original kickstart shaft?

Rick
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 09:25:44 AM »
I was thinking of mounting it as Simplex did.  I have been looking at the Maytag set-ups. I restored  a Model PB Briggs once that used a chain that was attached to the kicker. I plan to make my own engine shroud so what ever I come up with I can work the shroud around it. That way it will have originality plus get rid of the boxy modern look. The engine is mostly done but I am making an intake to turn the carb 90 degrees and have a unique air breather from a BSA.(late 50's)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 01:01:08 PM »
If you ever run across an FH briggs engine at a reasonable price, keep me in mind (it has the external rocker arm for the exhaust valve.
Mike Sal

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 06:55:01 PM »
I know exactly what an FH looks like. Had my hands on a few over the years. I have a model Y with a kicker that I was pondering for a Simplex but really love hotrodding the 5 hp engines.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 08:40:47 PM »
I have seen a few kick  starters for engines like that on ebay. They were made for mini bikes front the 60s,and 70s but if you find one you be lucky to get it for under $300.00.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 11:26:38 PM »
Just a FYI ebay has a part of a kick starter #220979226349 worth a look :)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 09:15:10 AM »
Interesting!

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 05:48:22 PM »
So as I ponder what to do with my new Simplex I decided to hold my custom tank in to the radius of the frame just to get a perspective of things. And I find out it doesn't fit all that great! Fit my '48 frame pretty decent though.  I think I can slightly contour the front vertical pipes of the frame and it will go. Either that or it's a good reason to make a stainless tank. Planning on chroming this one. Lots to think about.