Author Topic: Kick start spring  (Read 1885 times)

Ed Steele

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - edwinjsteele
    • View Profile
    • Email
Kick start spring
« on: May 22, 2012, 06:33:33 AM »
Hello All, any one know if the kick start spring is welded or braised to the post?, can't get mine off and it looks like it is. also, are the seat mounts, ie the bar that runs from the neck to the seat, available or should i attempt to make my own as mine is jury rigged. any bhelp would be appreciated, hope to have my 52 going to the local shows soon

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kick start spring
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 07:02:11 AM »
The spring is not welded to the frame.  Wayne has them if needed.  As for the seat bar, that is not available as far as I know.  I would guess that it is made from spring steel.  In a pinch,  I bet you could make one from 1 1/2" x 1/8 or 3/16 flat stock.
Rick

Ed Steele

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - edwinjsteele
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 09:43:21 AM »
Thanks rick, thats what i was thinking also, just have to try and match up the bends as mine is not even close to what original is

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 09:56:55 AM »
Be advised, different years used different bends.  Check out some pictures to be sure.  See this thread for a drawing of the different styles.
http://www.simplexservi-cycle.com/index.php?topic=293.0
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 08:15:00 PM by RickS »
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 03:23:09 PM »
My seat spring was broken close to the choke plate where it welds onto the bike frame when I got my bike. So I set out in search of 'spring steel' material and even finally found some that was dimensionally correct but as time passed I found a seat spring that matched. To head off some demons I thought I would have the replacement reheat treated to make sure I was good. It takes a large carbon content to get this accomplished. The guy at the heat treaters could only achieve 18 Rockwell (hardness). So we tested the broken one and it only tested at 15 Rockwell. I included that Simplex didn't use much for spring stock back then! So if a guy found steel with any carbon content at all like (1018 being low and 1060 being high) you could definitely form your own and have it treated but evidently they put alot of their trust in the spring under the seat. At least in 1948.