Author Topic: Painted Bike Parts  (Read 2656 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Painted Bike Parts
« on: June 04, 2012, 07:44:07 PM »
Got my tank & fenders back today.  The guy put the decal on too far back, but it's clear coated on so I'll get used to it I guess.  I layed some of the parts out for fun to take a couple pictures.  As soon as i get the wheels trued up, I'll be slapping it back together.  I recieved the dual exhaust pipes from Wollard, so will be getting them cleaned & painted too.
Mike Sal

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Painted Bike Parts
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 08:17:21 PM »
Looks good Mike, keep the pics coming . I'll try to get to peoria.
Jeremy c.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 06:37:30 AM »
Mike, looking good.  I love the multicolor paint scheme.  Get cracking on assembly, only 1 month to go!

PS:  The lawn looks great!
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 07:10:09 AM »
Now I'm digging around in the shop trying to find that bugler pin stripe gadget that I know I have somewhere so I can add the black stripe to the rims.

Rick, you didn't look very close....I'm behind on weed wacking, as illustrated by all the grass around that baby oak tree in the background.....

Jeremy, you're too late for the Peoria ww2 show.....it just got over this weekend (there was coverage on your local tv and in the Sunday paper).  We had a little over 100 reenactors, a couple self propeled guns (An american sexton & a german hetzer) plus some other cool toys.  I was one of the ss troopers that got killed early in each battle! 
Mike Sal

OEM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 05:12:34 PM »

Mike, I need that perfect red.  How can I get/mix it?
Thanks.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 09:02:16 PM »
Actually, I took a spray paint can cap of Rustoleum paint which matched my red dodge truck (a '95 model) to the guy who painted it so he could mix to match it.  I'll ask him what the mix was & will let you know.
Mike Sal

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 06:26:15 PM »
The rustoleum paint I referenced is "gloss cherry".  I asked the painter for the formula he used & was told that he started with 2 red's that he had on hand.....a 60's corvette red and a mid-90's Jeep red.  He mixed some of the lighter jeep red into the vette red to get it to match the spray bomb cap.   I think it turned out just a smidge lighter than the can cap.

The dividing stripe is a match to Krylon "almond" (the same color I used on the wheels....I just thought the "ivory" was too light).
Mike Sal

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 09:33:28 PM »
I like what you did with the pin stripe on the fenders. Looks clean, and you did it with the tool you looking for. And no I'm not going to try to spell it. I've been wanting to try the one I have may use on bike two. Also thinking of painting it myself.