Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 10702 times)

Gary S

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Introduction
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 06:59:44 AM »
Gary, that is a late Model H, which was built through september of 1947.  A 1948 would have an engine number that starts with a 48-xxxx.  Too bad they didn't use that numbering system all the time, as it would make it much easier to date these bikes.

The front end has been changed to a late model style, which started in 1949, on the Model K.  The earlier models used a gooseneck, like a bicycle.  The wheels have also been changed to late style 2" wide wheels, which became available in on the Model L, in late 1949.  The gas tank is also off a later model, as 1947 would have had a single fill tank with fine threads on the filler neck.

So it seems that my bike could be a 1949 with a "H" model engine?...or was simplex known for "slapping together" bikes with whatever inventory they had to use parts up?
 I had this same problem when I was trying to date my Erector Sets, a lot of mismatched parts from other sets, ultimately when I inventoried ALL the parts and completed/restored the set I had over tripled  my money.

GaryS
Never post anything on an open forum that you would not say in a crowded elevator.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2015, 07:22:46 AM »
1949 with an engine change is a definite possibility.  As for a left over H engine in 1949, I don't like those chances, as that is 2 years removed from the model H.
Rick

cotton

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2015, 07:10:20 PM »
Hi guys,   Can anyone help me with a year for a H8647E engine I got last week?
Thanks
 Dwayne

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2015, 10:12:18 AM »
Hi guys,   Can anyone help me with a year for a H8647E engine I got last week?
Thanks
 Dwayne

I would guess 1945-1946.  Is it complete?
Rick

cotton

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2015, 04:22:39 PM »
Yes the engine is complete.

Gary S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2015, 10:28:21 AM »
Welcome Gary.  I have posted the 1947 Manual in the Manuals section, feel free to print it out.  Like James said, post some pictures!

Where part of the country are you from?

Kinda having problems posting pix... with help from my son (The IT) here's a web site that will lead you to my pix.
all feedback is welcome.

https://garyssimplex.shutterfly.com/

GaryS
Never post anything on an open forum that you would not say in a crowded elevator.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2015, 10:49:30 AM »
Gary, your bike is a 1952 with an earlier engine.  The frame number is the giveaway. Mystery solved!  LOL

Posting pictures here is simple. When making a post, Click the Additional Options right under the white response window. Then click the "chose file" button. Then just choose your photo. To post more than 1 picture in a post, click the "(more attachments)" button to the right of the choose file button.
Rick

Gary S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2015, 11:44:44 AM »
Gary, your bike is a 1952 with an earlier engine.  The frame number is the giveaway. Mystery solved!  LOL

Posting pictures here is simple. When making a post, Click the Additional Options right under the white response window. Then click the "chose file" button. Then just choose your photo. To post more than 1 picture in a post, click the "(more attachments)" button to the right of the choose file button.

so if I can find an early frame with a 1952 engine I'd have the makings for two complete/correct servis?
what year do you think the engine is? the # begings with "H" and it has a compression release on the right rear of the cyclinder and has a small wooden handle on it. the only markings I can find on the carb. is a MT1D stamped on the rear of the float bowl.

GaryS
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 09:21:59 PM by Gary S »

Gary S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2015, 11:51:48 AM »

[/quote]

yeah...I got that part the prob is getting my files down to 15k, all my pic files are 2.2MB or larger. My son showed me how to use the Shutterfly Web Site to reduce the file size and change the format to JPG.
thanx

GaryS
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 09:21:28 PM by Gary S »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2015, 01:37:36 PM »
On you using a Mac or PC?
Rick

Gary S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2015, 03:00:22 PM »

iPhone to Mac

GaryS

Gary S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2015, 03:54:40 PM »
Gary, your bike is a 1952 with an earlier engine.  The frame number is the giveaway. Mystery solved!  LOL

Just got off the phone with Mr. Mahaffey... sweet man and very knowledgable/helpful. It seems that swapping my earlier 40ish engine for a rebuilt 1952 engine is totally within my budget for this restore/saviour project... leaving me with only 5 small items to complete my bike to where I am confortable riding it, she won't win any ribbons... but then again there aren't any paparazzi trying to break my door down.
Only thing left is to come up with a name for "HER"... maybe I'll name her after my late sister "Lourie Lee"
has anyone else named their bikes?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2015, 07:56:56 PM »

iPhone to Mac

GaryS

On a Mac, open the photo using Preview, then go to Tools, then Adjust Size.
Rick