Author Topic: Harbor freoght predator 212cc carb question  (Read 25631 times)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
Harbor freoght predator 212cc carb question
« on: June 11, 2013, 04:11:41 AM »
Does anyone know if the brass plug/cap, next to the idle speed screw is hiding the air bleed/idle mixture screw underneath? I would like to adjust the idle mixture but no screw is visable and was wondering if that's where it's located and if it can be removed, and how?  Thanks if anyone can help. (its the brass cap just underneath the mounting stud)

pd

• View Profile
Re: Harbor freoght predator 212cc carb question
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 06:05:46 AM »
I can't make out the plug . :(

You likely already have a manual : http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/68000-68999/68136.pdf

And here's a lot of good reading on the predator 212 : http://tinyurl.com/po5olp4
Goes around , Comes around . :)

ltcps

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 06:33:42 AM »
post some pictures of how your engine is mounted if you will

Thanks

Tom  Sr

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 04:03:31 AM »
The "manual" is pretty generic and just hits the general maintenance.  Looks like the air bleed is factory set and sealed.(Darn EPA and their small engine police)  The high speed jet is pretty lean also.  May end up going to a bigger one and stronger valve springs along with it for higher RPM's now that the governor is out. I made a new intake manifold for carb to run a free flow air filter and get rid of the outboard motor looking airbox.  Just cant decide if I want to vent valve cover vent tube to intake, or just put a filter on it.  Probably just filter it and let it vent.  Will post pics as it progress's. 

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 09:39:02 AM »
The "manual" is pretty generic and just hits the general maintenance.  Looks like the air bleed is factory set and sealed.(Darn EPA and their small engine police)  The high speed jet is pretty lean also.  May end up going to a bigger one and stronger valve springs along with it for higher RPM's now that the governor is out. I made a new intake manifold for carb to run a free flow air filter and get rid of the outboard motor looking airbox.  Just cant decide if I want to vent valve cover vent tube to intake, or just put a filter on it.  Probably just filter it and let it vent.  Will post pics as it progress's. 

It looks like they don't want you to adjust anything on these carbs.  My truck tribute will not start unless you choke it, even when hot.  After I get it back together, if I have time before Portland, I may look into increasing the size of the jets.  I have not done anything to the engine yet, except remove the governor.
Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 03:02:50 PM »
Hey "Rick" when ya get to it, let me know and maybe by then I'll have drilled my jet out and can let you know what size drill/jet will do the trick.  I believe the high speed jets are a #70 stock and some of the racing websites say they've had best luck going to #80 up to a #90 depending on if you've opened up the exhaust, 16lb valve springs, timing advance woodruff key, better flywheel, smaller fan, etc... Maybe open up the low speed jet just a tiny bit also, but can't add too much cause the air bleed is "fixed"  I'm leaning towards just a "hop-up kit" rather than a stage 1 kit for now.  I found some 1" pipe in our shop today for the exhaust, but have to wait till motor is "in" to figure out what I'm going to do. (muffler/no muffler for back pressure and number of bends, etc...I'm thinking a "fishtail tip" would look retro on it tho.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 05:32:42 PM »
I ran mine with a tailpipe about 24 inches without a muffler and it was LOUD!  I welded a muffler on and it is much more pleasant now.
Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 08:33:56 PM »
first heres a pic of the motor mount... *for the 212cc predator with CVT clutch set up)

ltcps

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 09:47:11 AM »
WOW! geat looking piece of machine work! Wish I had the skill and equipment to produce such a piece.

Yoiu wouldn't make another one for a price would you?

Thanks

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 12:43:11 PM »
Let me finish this one and I may consider it.  This one was a ALOT of trial and error. (emphasis on error) LOL.  I must have taken the motor and mount in/out at least 5-6 times last night for fitting and such.  Then pulled it all apart to remove kickstand and repaint where it was cut off. (in way of jack-shaft clutch)  I didn't want to cut rear fender so I had to rotate it back to clear the engine valve cover so that the "notch-out" for original belt drive is seen above frame now.  :-\ Going to kinda cover it up tho with the exhaust muffler.  Figured while I'm fabricating a exhaust system at work,(notice original manifold flange on floor along with the old kickstand) that I'd make a basic cover for the CVT while I'm at it. (cardboard is great stuff)  The engine/trans. and jackshaft are SO TIGHT and close together to the frame along with the drivebelt/wheel, it was "touch and go" that it was all going to fit/work! (sparkplug cap, valve cover, frame, belt, drive wheel pulley, etc, all are within about 3/8 inch of touching something)  I've never done a Comet torque convertor before either, so that was all a learning experience assembling and learning how they all work and how to align and adjust also.  Still need to find a suitable throttle grip/cable set up and adapt the on/off switch to the handlebars too, but am happy with all the progress I've made in the past day. (got parts Thursday evening and started assembly after work Friday night)  Hoping I get to start riding it and breaking in the engine maybe next weekend?  We'll see how fast/well things fit and get paint this week? 

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 08:38:46 PM »
pretty much finished up project. Just a little finishing work like relocate the on/off switch and switch out a better throttle cable set-up, etc...then take it for its maiden voyage and break in the motor. (adjust idle and mixture(s) with new jets after I get it on "the road")  Not really happy with the look of the clutch guard so I'll make a different designed one next week that's smaller when I get the time. Came out pretty nice I think? 

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 08:44:54 AM »
Not too shabby . ;)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 05:35:04 PM »
Looking good!  Is that motor plate from Wayne, or did you make your own?
Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 03:51:48 AM »
Added a set of leather bags to carry stuff like tools, etc... 

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 06:12:43 AM »
Those bags add a nice touch . Kind of era correct .

Now you need to install a pair of leather handle bar grips to help balance the look . Maybe suede for better grip , which you'll need with that 212 power plant ... ;)