Author Topic: A rider ...  (Read 166428 times)

pd

• View Profile
Re: A rider ...
« Reply #510 on: June 20, 2016, 01:02:09 PM »
This morning , I pulled the carb apart and went nuts with brake cleaner . I took a very fine piece of wire and carefully inserted that into the idle passages from the throat . The rear went easily . The very small hole just ahead of that one was a bit more difficult , but it did take the wire . A nice stream of brake cleaner blasts through those holes , now . Hopefully , I'll have a better idle .

I decided to chance it . I mixed some JB Weld . I removed the bottom screw and recessed the material I had in the drain hole . Cleaned the area with brake cleaner and applied the JB mix . I pressed it in both holes . The JB wanted to run out the screw hole at first and out of the the throat port , so a piece tape came to the rescue . It's already starting to set up , but I'll let the JB mix set overnight before trying to do any final forming .
I guess that answers my question of what I'll do with the intake throat . ;)

Pete . :)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 01:04:32 PM by pd »
Goes around , Comes around . :)

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 21, 2016, 03:04:21 PM »
Crap , just tripped and landed with rusty nail in my hand . I pulled it out , then proceeded to bleed and bleed some more . Got that cleaned and starting the recoup thing. Starting to feel it . I suspect that tomorrow will show a few tight muscles . :(

Anyway , the JB Weld seems to have set fairly decent . Shrunk a little , as expected . It trimmed not as pretty as I'd have liked , but , nice enough .

While fitting the carb to the case , I noticed the mount flange of the carb was not flat  . That , due to the 'ears' being farther away from the body . A good flat file took care of the issue . I cut a new gasket and mounted the carb .

Started it with power . It ran fine , after a couple adjustments .

BUT , still no kick starting . So , I gained little , if anything . :(

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #512 on: June 21, 2016, 05:14:37 PM »
I think it is time to look elsewhere for your problem.  Have you considered low vacuum?  Maybe your rotating clearance is too large?
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 21, 2016, 08:23:02 PM »
Yes , I've been thinking about vacuum .

I'm wondering if the crank seal is not copacetic .

Another thing , may be that the points are off enough to let the motor run at higher RPMs and not lower .

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 29, 2016, 08:50:37 PM »
I pulled the magneto and drive pulley in order to check the crank seal and bushing .

I found that dang spoke pattern oil stain on the back side of the drive pulley . Not real heavy , but very noticeable .
While inspecting farther, I noticed that the lip of the oil seal was 'just' over the edge of the bushing . Pulled the bushing , which is in very nice condition , but for a slightly rounded outer edge . Maybe from the seal riding there .

I cut a gasket ( looks like a washer ) to match the bushing and placed it between the crank bushing stop and bushing . That in an attempt to eliminate any possible air leak . I flipped the bushing prior to installation so the squarest edge would be out . Then I applied a couple rounds of twisted thread tape to the crank before adding a 1 mm thick washer . The washer is a couple mm more than the outside diameter of the bushing . Hopefully , the washer will keep the seal lip on the bushing .
Locked all that in place with the drive pulley and re-mounted the magneto .

If that doesn't do the trick , I'll try a seal that is a mm smaller inside diameter .

I had to glue the magnet back in place that I had gorilla glued in place a few years ago . I guess maybe I didn't clean the mating surfaces good enough the first time .

That's where I left things for the night .

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 30, 2016, 11:13:07 AM »
It ran long enough for me to think that maybe I had something good going on .
There was still no joy using the kick , but it was starting easier with power .

Now , I get to pull the top end , as the motor seized yet again . :(

The fun never stops .

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 03, 2016, 03:13:26 PM »
I pulled the cylinder and piston .

Only a light seizure , but a seizure none the less . 

Now the hunt for why , again ... too much air from somewhere , but where ?
I'll fix it , put it back together again , start and let it warm up . Then brake cleaner gets applied to all gasket-ed joints and the crank seal . Any rise in RPM will be the tell .

« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 04:14:21 PM by pd »

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 06, 2016, 09:32:11 PM »
Put the motor back together . I think I'm wearing the nuts and bolts  with all this on off business . LOL

Anyway , I started it and let it warm up . I tried getting some starting fluid around the crank seal , but I'm not sure that actually happened . Of course , I got called away , so I didn't complete my 'leak' test .

I did kick start it , once . Maybe some progress , hopefully .

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 07, 2016, 03:06:45 PM »
Still no kick starting . :(

I used starting fluid for the vacuum ( leak ) test .  I found no evidence of a leak .
I found it strange that when I sprayed a little in the intake the motor died .

The motor only wants to run at RPMs just low enough so the transmission doesn't fully engage . The bike wants to creep . Any lower RPM and it's a very short time until the motor dies .

I'm still thinking that the compression is too low as evidenced by the way the motor started and ran after I installed the new piston in the Wayne bore . Granted the clearance was too tight and it seized , but , while it ran , it ran strong and started easy with the kicker .
That and at the same time I have to wonder if maybe the magneto magnets are weak and not generating enough spark at low RPMs .

Grasping at straws , still . :(
I'm open to any suggestions .

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 07, 2016, 04:18:32 PM »
My wife asked me if I was in a bad mood . I said no , just deep in thought about why this motor was giving me such a hard time .

Anyway , during that thought period it occurred to me that there might be a casting leak that shows after the motor warms . I'll have to do a pressure test . That means I'll have to build a pressure tester .
It's likely the only way that I'll be able to tell for sure if there are any leaks .

Like I said ... grasping at straws .

There has to be an answer , somewhere .

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #520 on: July 07, 2016, 07:03:50 PM »
I know Gary Wollard created a vacuum tester that he would place were the carb goes.  I don't know too much about it or if it even helped him diagnose an engine. Seems like it would tell you something be it pressure or vacuum whatever you choose.  I know that a third port style 2 stroke requires base pressure and cylinder pressure(compression).  I have a Sears Sabre that haunted me once.  Turns out it had a poltergeist and I had to perform an exercism. Drove me nuts!

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 07, 2016, 07:45:28 PM »
I might be a little past nuts and approaching obsession with this motor , Tom .

I've had a couple boat motors gave me fits , but nothing like this .

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 08, 2016, 07:01:16 PM »
I did some more 'testing' with starter fluid and found that the crank seal is bad . On more than one try , when I applied the fluid just right , the motor would die immediately . It died immediately when I sprayed only a little bit in the intake while running .

I thought the motor should have raced instead of dying . But , thinking it farther , it makes sense that it would die due to too rich a mixture .

So , now to get a new seal . I'll order a 1 mm smaller seal and hopefully that will be tight enough .

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 09, 2016, 08:30:48 PM »
While I have to wait for a new seal , I have some electrical 'stuff' that needs attention . I was getting no juice from the headlight coil and had the headlight hooked to one of the tail light coils just to see what would happen . The headlight did illuminate , albeit just . When last I had the flywheel off , I noticed the headlight coil was a bit loose . I tried moving it and found it had come undone , so to speak . Very loosely wound . I'm guessing from vibration after the old tape dried out .

I looked around the 'net' and found a couple that might work . But , I think I might have some luck rewinding it .
I unwound the coil wire onto a cone shaped wire tomato cage , leaving plenty space between wraps . I intended to clear coat the wire , but only had a selection of colored spray paints to choose from . The wire is now satin dark brown mahogany .  Hopefully , it's not too choosy as to what it's coated with . ;)
I let that coat dry and wound the wire onto a coffee can so I'll have better control when I have to wind the actual coil . I plan on giving the wire another coat as I finally rewind the coil .

Then , maybe I'll have a little better headlight . Or , at least , some amount of juice to work with .

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 10, 2016, 04:26:16 PM »
Finally ... I think I did something right , for a change .

I ran the motor long enough to see that my attempt at rewinding the headlight coil turned out decent . The headlight now shines what seems to be 3 - 4 times brighter than it was when I had it hooked to the tail light coil . Like I said , the HL coil was putting out nothing before I rewound it , so yippee . One step forward .

I did not meter the output of the 'new' coil . I'll do that once I have the motor running as it should . Then to find decent bulbs that will make the best use of what juice is available .