Author Topic: Help on parts list for upgrade for street riding  (Read 14802 times)

ltcps

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Help on parts list for upgrade for street riding
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 07:09:28 PM »
Well I am supprised in my inability to get in contact with either Worksman or Pirate!

With Pirate all I get is a fax machine and no response to emails.

All I need to find out is if I can put a 35P chain sprocket on their wheels.

Has anyone got any suggestions if  the pair Pirate sells with the part number CB-W110 will work ok? They have drum brakes and offer a sprocket adapter and a 40 tooth 41P sprocket. My Comet converter is a 35P.

Any help finding out how to get an answer would be appreciated.

rdolan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 08:56:55 PM »
We use moped hubs on motored bikes, and we build some real hotrods.  They work very well.  They are same basic drum hub like Worksman uses up front, but they're wide (130mm) and they have bolt on sprockets.  You can lace one of thees hubs into a stock Simplex rim, not sure what the offsets look like though. Pat has pictures of them on his website, so check out his website:

http://sportsmanflyer.com/

It's hard to keep up with all the latest stuff on the website, but if you go to the Sportsmanflyer flikr page, you'll see all the latest hardware, including a complete folder with lots of pictures of the hubs we run.

This link will show you just the hubs:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sportsmanflyer/6023605271/in/set-72157627379714327/

And this link will take you to the top of the flikr page (be sure to take your time to really look around, lots of cool goodies):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sportsmanflyer

We always have lots of builds going, including some seriously fast bikes that we're working on now. As soon as we get thru those, we'll be building out a vintage Simplex with modern fourstroke power, either a GX200 or GC200.  The plan is to build one out then offer a bolt in kit for other Simplex users.  Pat builds some pretty high end stuff and Simplex setup will be of similar quality. It's always possible to build on a budget, but it takes more leg work to find the deals.

Rich

oh, and like I said before, Pat lists the worksman wheels (brand new) on his web site, he can make custom rear sprockets too.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 08:59:25 PM by rdolan »

ltcps

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 02:28:09 PM »
Ordered wheels from Pirate yesterday. Front and rear with drum brakes front and rear, sprocket adapter, 40 tooth sprocket and front brake lever and cable for $235 plus shipping.

Seems like a very good price. We'll see when they get here.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 06:54:28 AM »
Those retro racers look cool.  One question I have is in regard to mounting the engine at an angle (to get that cool look, I'm sure).  Since the oil level is now no longer in the original "sump" area, is there an oil pump used in the engine that's still submerged, or???

I wonder if a guy could do the same thing with one of those robbin engines Harbor Freight used to sell?
Mike sa.

Kustomkarma

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 03:02:08 PM »
Ordered wheels from Pirate yesterday. Front and rear with drum brakes front and rear, sprocket adapter, 40 tooth sprocket and front brake lever and cable for $235 plus shipping.

Do you have a link to the wheels you ordered? What are you going to use for tires? I just removed the old rotten tires from my wheels and it looks like they're going to need a lot of work. I'm thinking it might be better to just replace them. I'm only planning on putting around at 35 45 mph - if that.

ltcps

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2012, 06:22:21 PM »
http://www.piratecycles1.com/cbwhw12gasps.html

I did not order the worksman as they had another brand for the lower price. The worksman set was about $100+ more. I got the steel wheels because I am going to paint them anyway.

Give them a call. You might have to call many times as there are only 2 order takers (small  company) but were extreemly helpful and well worth the effort of reaching them.

I am planning to run Contintental tires.

Good luck.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2012, 07:49:22 PM »
Please be careful running bicycle tires on a simplex.  They were never designed to operate at the speed of a motorbike.  Compare one to a simplex tire and you will see what I mean.
Rick

ltcps

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 08:49:20 AM »
Since I'm running 26 x 2.125 instead of 2.5 inch rims, will they work ok?

If so, where would be the best place to find them?

Thanks for the heads up.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 12:27:02 PM »
I doubt the rims you are getting are really 2.125" wide.  That is the tire size.  I know worksman rims are 1 3/4 wide, and that is measured on the outside of the rim, so the real rim width is 1 1/4".   A 1" wide drop center Simplex rim is 1 1/2" on the outside and a 2" Simplex is 2 1/2".

I spoke with a guy on another site that had chopperus.com 2" wide wheels, but he was switching them for worksman because the quality wasn't there, and they only had 14 gauge spokes.  The worksman are built really tough and are used all the time on motor powered bicycles.

I have spoken with the engineer at worksman about having a 2" wide rim made, but he told me I would have to buy 10,000 to get them made!!  

As for Simplex reproduction tires, they are made by Coker tire.  Google them and some places will come up.

Rick

Oh, BTW, the simplex 26 x 2.5" tire fits on all the simplex rims as well as the worksman steel rim.  I have heard they are extremely hard to get on the worksman alloy rims.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:28:42 PM by RickS »
Rick

Kustomkarma

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 03:01:46 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement rear axle, bearings, and cones? My axle has damaged threads and I figured it would be a good idea to get new bearings and cones while I'm at it. Do you guys just use standard automotive bearing grease or is a bicycle type grease better?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2012, 03:07:33 PM »

Do you have a link to the wheels you ordered? What are you going to use for tires? I just removed the old rotten tires from my wheels and it looks like they're going to need a lot of work. I'm thinking it might be better to just replace them. I'm only planning on putting around at 35 45 mph - if that.

Post some pics of your wheels.  Let's see how rough is rough.
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2012, 05:58:46 PM »

We always have lots of builds going, including some seriously fast bikes that we're working on now. As soon as we get thru those, we'll be building out a vintage Simplex with modern fourstroke power, either a GX200 or GC200.  The plan is to build one out then offer a bolt in kit for other Simplex users.  Pat builds some pretty high end stuff and Simplex setup will be of similar quality. It's always possible to build on a budget, but it takes more leg work to find the deals.

Rich

Rich, did you guys ever work on this simplex conversion?

Rick
Rick

chainmaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2012, 02:49:47 PM »
 I know its an old thread but I am curious how the electric start/stator worked out for you with the HF212cc. Rick- I dont think they went with the Simplex mods- they did however just break the world record for fastest 173cc at Bonneville Salt flats

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2012, 04:12:26 PM »
I know its an old thread but I am curious how the electric start/stator worked out for you with the HF212cc. Rick- I dont think they went with the Simplex mods- they did however just break the world record for fastest 173cc at Bonneville Salt flats

I did not use a HF212, but a GX200 clone.  I have not hooked up the electric start or the lights yet, but have ridden the bike at the VMBC meet in Portland, IN, and everything worked fine.  I will finish it up this fall/winter.  During the summer, I just play!
Rick

ltcps

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2012, 02:07:51 PM »
Been traveling. Had to remove the starter because of space. Using Comet CVT so had to fab some brackets to move the wheel back. Not done yet. If anyone has used the starter and a CVT I would like to know.

Made a belt drive final pulley for the comet as could not find a rear wheel that would alow me to retain a rear brake and a sprocket on the left side.

Just starting back on project and if anyone can offer any better ideas I would love to hear them