Author Topic: Greetings from Florida!  (Read 3037 times)

Kustomkarma

Greetings from Florida!
« on: January 28, 2012, 05:09:26 PM »
Hi,

I just recently purchased a Servi-Cycle project after looking for several years. I decided it would be a good idea to join this forum so I can find out more about this little bike. It's missing the engine and a couple of other misc. pieces so the plan is to adapt a modern 3 - 5 hp sideshaft engine. I'm not sure what year it is, but mine is an "automatic" version, so I think that dates it to after 1953. I have been messing around with cars and motorcycles for as long as I can remember and have been building custom Schwinn bicycles for the last 6 years or so. I'm looking forward to getting this on the road sometime this year.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Greetings from Florida!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 05:40:45 PM »
Did you buy that simplex from Winter Springs?  If so, that was a pretty good deal.  Good luck and welcome aboard.  post some pictures of your project!!

Rick
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 05:47:06 PM by RickS »
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 05:56:04 PM »
Glad your here! Just joined myself.  Hope to see some pics of your project.

Kustomkarma

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 09:07:13 AM »
Did you buy that simplex from Winter Springs?  If so, that was a pretty good deal.  Good luck and welcome aboard.  post some pictures of your project!!

Rick

Yep! That's the one. The bike was about an hour from my house, but he lives like 20 minutes from me, so he delivered it. Can't beat that. I build custom Schwinn bicycles, so this is kind of related. I' d never actually seen one in person until yesterday. What I'm trying to figure out right now is what would be the best way to connect a modern engine (B&S, Harbor Freight, etc.) to the original belt drive. Does anyone have any detailed pictures of how this has been accomplished? I was wondering if this thing (blue anodized):

http://gokartsusa.com/gtc-comet-tav2-30-torq-a-verter.aspx

would be useful as it looks like the you may be able to reverse it and mount a pulley on the back side of the plate.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 12:15:41 PM »
That guy just put another simplex up for sale.

As for putting a non-simplex motor in, here is a couple of pictures of one done by a guy in georgia.  This is really sweet, and is a member here, his name is Bill Miller.

Rick

Kustomkarma

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 04:07:51 PM »
I'm watching the other Simplex as well... just in case I can afford it. Thanks for the pics of the blue bike. I've seen that one before - I thought I read that its running a Honda GC 160 engine. Does anyone have any specifics on the gear, chain, pulleys, etc. - it would be awesome to have a parts list of some kind. I understand the concept, am still trying to work out the specifics.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 04:24:39 PM »
Contact member BJM    http://www.simplexservi-cycle.com/index.php?action=profile;u=3731  

This is the contact info for Bill Miller.  He had mounts and such water jetted and I bet he would sell you some.  He said the whole conversion is bolt-in.

Rick

Kustomkarma

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 04:56:52 PM »
Thanks for the pics! Some of my favorite words "bolt on." I sent him a message - I'm hoping he can help me out. It would be great to get the details on his conversion (or better yet some brackets) rather than trying to figure it out from scratch.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 08:48:34 AM »
Did Bill ever get back to you about his conversion parts?

Rick
Rick