Author Topic: Some non-simplex engine pictures  (Read 7813 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Some non-simplex engine pictures
« on: February 11, 2012, 05:03:11 PM »
Some are nicer install than others.
Rick

ltcps

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Some non-simplex engine pictures
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 08:40:07 AM »
Great pics,keep em comming!

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 05:57:57 PM »
 I have a simplex without a motor. I have a briggs  that might fit. It is nice to see that a
simplex can be up dated with a newer motor. Got some Ideals from your pc's thanks Bill Marcum

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 06:39:04 PM »
Welcome Bill.  Is your goal "tricked out fast & cool", or "vintage looking" for a final project?  That can have an effect in your consideration of a replacement engine.  I prefer the vintage look myself.  Some of the guys have done some pretty creative things with them. 

If time ever becomes plentiful & I run across a simplex chassis w/o engine, I've got a 2 cyl. briggs flat head that I'd like to try a "Zundapp" style mounting (crankshaft going north/south).  I'd run the out put thru a angle drive to a belt / chain tranny.   If Sonya would just hurry up & buy that lucky lottery ticket......
Mike Sal

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 07:37:14 PM »
Like to get started on this project soon . It has been sitting in the garage too long. But like everything time and money is short. I will be getting it out soon to start the project. great web site , it has got my intrest back up .     

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 02:32:01 PM »
I have to look for a diffrent motor for my Simplex the briggs that I have and was going to use is junk ( broken cam shaft ). So I am thinking of the Honda Motor may be the gc 190 or the gx 200 . Were do you find these ? What type of motorcycle , and year ?  The pic's of these motors look like they fit the bike pretty good. Bill

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 03:20:31 PM »
I stopped by a Harbor Freight store yesterday & took a quick look at their engines.  With a tape measure, I took a few quick dimensions......14" long (10" from crank centerline to front, 4" from centerline to back.  Without the gastank (setting on top), it's about 8" tall.  About 13" including the tank.  This was for the 6.5hp version.  Didn't have time to take any more dimensions.
Mike Sal

ltcps

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 06:52:43 PM »
Mine is about ready to have mountiing bracket started. If you need any deminsions let me know.

One thing I'm pretty sure of is that it is going to be difficult to install with an electric starter. It adds about 2 inches to the length. I'm going to get serious about getting it mounted this weekend.

Sure makes me nervous cutting those two vertical cross-shaft supports but after looking at the pictures of the other conversions, I guess it is necessary.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 07:32:54 PM »
Personally, I think the Honda GC series motors would be the way to go.  They use an upright cylinder, a front exhaust, and a rear carb, just like a simplex.

This one used a chain to a jackshaft, and they to a belt final drive.  If I were to build one, I would go with a belt drive clutch to the jackshaft.  I bet this could also be done with a torque convertor, and all belt drive.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 07:36:59 PM by RickS »
Rick

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 03:05:55 PM »
Ric  , Were did you get your motor and what size is it.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 05:45:04 PM »
Not mine.  It belongs to BJM. 
Rick

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 06:31:06 AM »
Rick or any one,
I tried to get in touch with BJM. I tried sending him a message but it does not seam to work. I just went down yesterday and picked up my new Honda GC160 motor. BJM supose to have some infomation  or parts that would help me with my instalation.  Your help would be appeciated. Also I need to know how to post pic that are larger than 1500 KB my new cameria takes pictures around 2.8 MB range, Can i crop them to get them below 1500 KB , or do I need to do something diffrent, Bill Marcum

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 07:06:14 AM »
You really need to resize them to about 120 kb to fit the screen so we don't have to scroll.  On a Mac I just go to preview and adjust size, for a pc I don't know.

I will try calling BJM on Monday and see if I can get some info from him and maybe he will come over and post it.  It looks like there would be interst in a bolt in kit!

Rick
Rick

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 07:07:38 AM »
Been playing with the computer. Learned how to compress my pictures, now to try it out on this site to see if  the pictures  will post . This is a test and only a test if it works look out here come some pictures. Bill Marcum
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 04:49:43 PM by bill marcum »

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 07:09:49 AM »
Nice job! That wasn't that hard!

Rick
Rick