Author Topic: Vanguard VTwin in Simplex?  (Read 3444 times)

dualquad425

• View Profile
Vanguard VTwin in Simplex?
« on: June 25, 2012, 11:11:46 AM »
I searched but did not find any mention of Vanguard conversions. Will a Briggs Vanguard 16HP VTwin fit in a Simplex frame without modding the frame? I know these conversions are popular with the Cushman crowd, the Cushman frames appear to have a whole lot more room.

BTW, I am new to this group and to Simplex.  I am in Minneapolis, MN

Thanks for all the great information.  Joel

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Vanguard VTwin in Simplex?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 02:39:19 PM »
Welcome Joel.  I think a vanguard  would be a tight fit in a simplex, if it would fit at all.  A single cylinder 8-10 horsepower engine will have you going faster than is safe on a simplex.  BJM on here has gone  55 mph with a Honda GC160, which is rated at 5 horsepower. 

Do you have a bike yet?  If so, post some pictures.
Rick

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 06:53:06 PM »
I agree,  you can get killed with something like that,   The servicycle is an enjoyable ride the way it is ,  frame and running gear is a little more than a bicycle , I strongly suggest no greater than 7 horsepower.   please be careful !    in any event , best wishes !   think about posting progress      Larry. :o

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 06:58:30 AM »
The few pics that I have seen where they used one of those engines, they had th modify the frame every time. I to have a frame that I would like to trick out someday with a motor from a snowmobile, but II'm liking that little motor assay. I do know they do look good with those engines on them.

dualquad425

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 10:08:59 AM »
I figured as much and I agree that too much HP would ruin the joy of the Simplex.  I do like the look of the GC160.  My plan is the GC160, an older Briggs or Wisconsin motor.

No pics of the bike yet, still waiting for delivery.  Do know that frame number is 14490 (motor is gone).  I mentioned to Mike that the headlight bucket also has a 150cc decal on it. Not sure if it is stock or not.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 03:46:26 PM »
I have a 16hp opposed cylinder Briggs set aside for a future bike project.  I want to have a motorbike with the "BMW" look.  Whenever I find a cheap right angle drive to get the power going in the right direction for the rear wheel, I'll start on it.  Too many projects......too little time.....

I think his bike is a '56 vintage, but could have been left over long enough to have seen a '57 build with the bigger engine.....we'll probably never know for sure.
Mike Sal

dualquad425

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 05:04:47 PM »
I'm ok with 56 or 57. This bike will look great sitting next to my 55 Buick. Should be an interesting project to work on. This group will be a great resource throughout the process.  My plan is to clean it up but preserve as much of the patina as possible. Make it a runner like my Buick which is still in original paint but motor, interior, mechanicals have been gone through.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 06:41:27 PM »
Ya, I was thinking I'd take my simplex to the stude convention to display with my '55 Studebaker....but I just ran out of time to get the '55 ready (the front suspension needs rebuild....I got the parts....just no time......although that may be changing big time.....I just got layed off from my place of employement after 24 years......The let 6 of us go....all with 24 or more years of service.......)
Mike Sal

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 06:54:52 PM »
Sorry to hear about the layoff Mike.  Will you still be going to Portland?
Rick

mike montgomery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 07:22:12 PM »
I hate the current corporate mentality.  After 24 years they should keep you going until you retire (the way is used to be and the way it should still be).  I guess that they laid you off so that they could hire some young worker for less wages and benefits.  Maybe folks on this site can help you find other employment.  What type of work do you do or better yet, what type of work do you want to do? Mike