Author Topic: New guy- Not sure where to go from here.  (Read 4162 times)

Beau

• View Profile
    • Email
New guy- Not sure where to go from here.
« on: July 10, 2012, 05:52:06 AM »
Tonight I'm heading to look at a Simplex hack job and frame. I have wanted one of these cycles for about ten years. I talked the seller down to $600 (is that too steep?) for what you see here. The engine fires but is not original. Plans are to find an original tank and a different engine, and probably sell the spare frame off to recoup some funds or trade for parts.

This is my old Schwinn Excelsior Board track Racer. It a bicycle I turned into a moped type bike. Powered by a Briggs 3 hp. I still have to finish the engine and cranks up. But I have been beating on it and having fun for now.

And my Hot Rod build-

The Delinquents car club.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New guy- Not sure where to go from here.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 03:08:29 PM »
That is probably about right for what I can see. That other frame is  probably not worth much, as it is missing the center spring  bar for the seat.  Frames without any parts sometimes do not bring any bids on eBay, even when the bidding starts at $50.

What engine is that on the simplex?  If it is a continental, it MIT be worth something.

Welcome aboard!

Where do you live?
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 03:49:57 PM »
The motor on your simplex is definately worth some money, so that will help offset some of the investment.   Does either frame have a serial number (located under the neck, just ahead of the crashbars).

How did you make the tank for that schwinn?  I like that a lot.

Rick, try to find out who the guy was who was making the re-pop bikes to see if he could be talked into making some more gas tanks.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 08:05:28 PM »
Mike, I don't know who the guy was, but Bob Gurkin did.  Wayne says he is looking into the gas tank and wheel issues.
Rick

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 03:59:07 PM »
Hey you guys in Portland . Did anybody make any Tee shirts? If you did let me know. I would like to buy one or two. Wish I was there. Bill Marcum 8)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 04:42:56 PM »
Hey you guys in Portland . Did anybody make any Tee shirts? If you did let me know. I would like to buy one or two. Wish I was there. Bill Marcum 8)

No shirts have been made.  I spoke with Mike Sal in Portland about it, and the guy he had didn't come through.  I will get on this project after the summer is over and it slows down around here.

Bill, why didn't you come?  Tom, aka KartJockey, and I had a blast!!  We looked like kids riding around the fairgrounds with big old grins.
Rick

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 07:06:17 PM »
It looks like u guys had a blast , I would think my bike will be going next year hope I can make it!!
Jeremy c.

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 07:22:33 PM »
RickS , Wanted to go to Portland But my son from Minn. came into town on his new Harley Ultra and spent a few days with us and I got a new position at work and I needed to be there with out missing any days for the probationary 30 days. Have not seen any pictures yet of the meet. Have fun . Maybe next year. Bill Marcum 8)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 10:49:09 AM »
Beau, did you buy these bikes?  What's the plan?
Rick