Author Topic: how long is clutch rod on K model  (Read 478 times)

Scooter4

• View Profile
how long is clutch rod on K model
« on: April 23, 2022, 04:12:54 PM »
Good evening,
I need to make a clutch rod and I am wondering if someone will please measure how long the clutch rod is, how long the threaded part is and the diameter of the threads and shaft?

Please let me know.
Thank you,
Scooter

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: how long is clutch rod on K model
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2022, 05:25:45 AM »
Hey Scooter.   This is the clutch rod from my '48.   From the center of the hook pin to the tip of the threaded end measures         
  18 1/2".   There are 6" of threads.   The rod is 3/8" diameter with 3/8-24 threads.   
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 05:45:10 AM by kartjockey »

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2022, 02:23:39 PM »
Good afternoon,
Thank you for taking the time to measure that and take pictures.  I will make one soon.  I think it may be the last part I need to make it driveable.
Thank you,
Scooter

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 05:47:40 PM »
Good evening,
Seems like each time I move on to the next part I have more questions.  I am wondering if anyone has pictures of the ratchet clutch?
Mine is missing parts and possibly modified.  I cant find any pictures in manuals like mine.  There are 4 holes in a cup type shape and I think some type of latch block bolts to the frame for the ratchet to catch.  I have found only one picture of that area like that, but the picture is not good enough to tell what it looks like.  Refer to attached images of mine.
Please let me know if you know anything.
Thank you,
Scooter

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2022, 04:55:13 PM »
Good evening,
My pulley shaft has only a snap ring groove and all the pictures I have seen show cotter pin.  Do you know if there is a snap ring version?
Maybe someone made a new shaft.  If it is supposed to be cotter pin, I will drill it.  Refer to attached image.

Please let me know.
Thank you,
Scooter

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2022, 05:18:27 AM »
A few pictures to show the evolution of the clutch pedal.  Early to  late.  The welded portion might seem like a repair but all of the ones I have seen  have it.  Simplex may have modified the earlier versions as they made design changes on the fly. I have two of the three speed styles and both are the same with one another.  I am wondering if yours was manufactured between the 'short-leg, no ratchet' and the later ratchet style.   My short leg one measures 2" center to center of the holes.  Ratchet style measures 4" center to center of the holes.  The leg is at a 20 degree down angle. 

« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 05:27:24 AM by kartjockey »

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2022, 05:23:39 AM »
Pictures show notches on ratchet and where they catch on the frame.  Notice the cotter pin.  Spring hooks in it and down to pin.

Also, I have several clutch shafts.  They all have clip grooves.  I am not sure why manual shows a cotter pin.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2022, 05:33:49 AM »
Does the circular piece with the four holes in it seem to match up with how it fits in the frame.   I have not seen any with that.

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2022, 07:43:46 AM »
Good morning,
The picture of your pulley shaft looks like mine.  Do you see any signs of a cotter pin hole?  I cant tell from the picture.
Please let me know.

I am putting together research I did regarding the shifter pedal last week that I think lays out the timeline.  I will add it to the post soon.
Thank you,
Scooter

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2022, 08:21:24 AM »
So I dug to the bottom of the 'pile'.. Ended finding two clutch shafts.  One with a cotter pin hole and one with cotter pin hole AND a clip groove.   I stand amused!

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2022, 03:07:17 PM »
Thank you for the effort to help figure this out.
Attached are images "modified L shifter" showing what I have put together with the parts I have.  I believe my pedal is a factory L ratchet shifter where the detent drum has been added.  The orientation of the drum is off a few degrees.  I think the red marks where the balls are should be lined up in that position based on the "Simplex K publication4" image attached that came from this site.

I need to figure out if I am going to use what I have, find a correct pedal or make a new one.  I may remove the drum from this and make a new pedal and put the drum on.
The best I can make, is the detent came out on K and was used on early L  based on the attached image "K detent shifter" and "L ratchet shifter" taken from the model differences listed on this site.

Also attached are images showing a couple of images showing the later L shifter as ratchet type.

Thank you,
Scooter

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2022, 04:28:11 PM »
I haven't ever looked into this.  Thanks for clarifying.   Rocker clutch boys got to stick together!!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 04:52:39 PM by kartjockey »