Author Topic: K model handlebar twist control parts  (Read 464 times)

Scooter4

• View Profile
K model handlebar twist control parts
« on: May 11, 2022, 06:13:55 AM »
Good morning,
I need to make handlebar twist control parts for my K model and from part pictures, I am not certain which to use a dimensions.
Attached is an image from parts book and I believe the K model and L model are different.  I have some questions about the pins and twist parts.
the parts list looks like K should have twist grip body 708 for 5/16 pin.  I dont see how the left grip body can be stationary since that works the decompressor.
I am also wondering what the 707 cable pin looks like?  Maybe just slotted?

Please let me know.
Thank you,
Scooter

Scooter4

• View Profile
Re: K model handlebar twist control parts
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2022, 09:48:57 AM »
Good morning,
If someone would be able to measure how far apart the two holes are from each other and how far from the end, at least having that would be a great start.  My bars hole locations should be the same as the models before the K.  I am making the bars, so currently do not have an example to compare.
Any information will be much appreciated.
Thank you,
Scooter

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2022, 07:18:24 PM »
I seem to remember the manual saying the kink in the slot was intended to offer a cruise setting so as the rider would not have to hold the throttle so steady.

The holes in the handlebar are nearly parallel to the ground when the handlebars are in riding position on the bike.

The 1947 Simplex manual posted in the 'manuals only' section offers good insight in both text and pictures.

I will get the compression relief info posted soon.

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 05:10:21 AM »
Thank you for the reply and taking the time to document the parts. That will be very helpful. 
I am glad you mention the position of the holes, I would have placed them vertical, but now I see that in one of the parts pages that they are more like parallel.
That change in the spiral groove to hold speed position is an interesting way to do that.

I am wondering if you received my 2 PM messages?  Just curious.  I did not want to keep bothering you about it, but was not sure if I am sending them.

I will start making control parts this weekend while I am waiting for my Cushman coil.

Thank you,
Scooter

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 06:35:37 PM »
The holes in each handle are the same.  Photos show holes for cable also.  Drill bits(,265") show angle of how the holes were drilled. 

Picture of single throttle has bigger pins. (.375" dia.)   So kind of interesting.  Plus the slotted pin has a recess to hold the cable so maybe it doesn't require the washer.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2022, 06:42:07 PM »
Last of photos.

First one shows step inside.  Acts as a stop to seat against throttle tube.  I noticed one of my sleeves said EMT on it.  So, I measured a piece of 1" conduit I have.  It would work for making a replacement sleeve.  Dimensions are perfect.

Other photo is of throttle tube with larger pins.

Scooter, yes, I did receive your messages.

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2022, 07:20:54 PM »
Thank you for taking the time for the pictures and information.
Does your bike use the motor bracket like mine that has the holes at the bottom for the cables?  I am wondering what keeps the conduit from pushing out since the throttle is pushes cable to accelerate.  Maybe a clip of sorts?
That will be most helpful.
Scooter

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2022, 07:55:52 AM »
Good morning,
I am wondering what the OD of the throttle tubes is?   Going off the guide pin head height it appears to be 1.125" OD, but figured I would ask because I am going to have to make those from solid bar because I do not have any tubing with heavy enough wall.

I was originally going to use 1" OD tube since that is a common handlebar size, but after reviewing the pictures you provided, that would not be big enough.
Please let me know.
Thank you,
Scooter

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2022, 08:12:36 AM »
Pics of model 48 engine bracket.  Maybe that the cable is captured at both ends is what secures the housing.

the O.D. of the throttle tubes is 1.131".   

I know Wayne has the throttle tubes and hopefully the early grips.  Might save yourself some work.

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2022, 10:52:31 AM »
Thank you for the pictures and information.  That is the same bracket I have and I am guessing your right about the outer cable.  I have not found any part numbers for some type of retainer.  Other types of bikes use various special nuts that thread over the outer cable.

I do not know how long the throttle tube is supposed to be, but looks like maybe 4".  The grips on my M model are 4".

I considered buying throttle tubes from Wayne and you are right about the extra work.  But, I have tooling I made a long time ago to mill those for other types of bikes. 
Thank you,
Scooter

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2022, 07:34:09 PM »
  Both of the tubes are 3.875" long.  The center of the slots start roughly .450" from the end on both of them. 

« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 05:38:03 AM by kartjockey »

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2022, 06:09:16 AM »
Thank you for the pictures.  I will post pictures of what I finish the controls out with this week if I am able to finish.  The shop gets too hot sometimes.

Thank you,
Scooter