Author Topic: forks are wrong length at steering head on K model  (Read 302 times)

Scooter4

• View Profile
forks are wrong length at steering head on K model
« on: May 26, 2022, 06:11:21 PM »
Good evening,
Once again I have found something that does not fit on project K model.  The forks that came with the project are short about 1/4" at the steering head.  Refer to attached images.  They measure 5 1/8" and need to be 5 3/8".  I measured my M model and they are 5 3/8", but not the correct type for the K model.
This is the first time I have assembled it with the bearings and steering race nut.  Wish I would have checked that years ago.
As far as I can tell from L model pictures and the 1950 and earlier parts pages, the forks appear to be the correct design.
I do not have photos of a K model to study, but do have nice L model and it looks right.

The forks do not appear to be modified and I have confirmed using the information from this site that the frame is a K model frame because of the double step welded on seat leaf spring.

I do know the springs that came with the pile are not correct.  I should have two different sizes per side.  Maybe they are the wrong forks.

Any ideas?
Please let me know.
Thank you,
Scooter

Scooter4

• View Profile
Re: forks are wrong length at steering head on K model
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 06:12:20 PM »
forgot one of the pictures

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 07:10:54 PM »
I looked at my Model 48.  It has washers under crown plate.  I am pretty sure I am the first guy to ever take it apart. 

I have several frontends.   Maybe 15 or so.  They measure differently from one another.  I have some 1940(?)s that are 5 1/8'.  Most others measure 5 1/4".  I have a later one that does measure 5 3/8'.  It has the stampings including stamped down by the axle.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 07:14:49 PM »
I should add that none of them were really 'right on" those sizes. Mostly to the heavy.

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 07:25:10 PM »
Thank you for the reply.
I am going to add spacers then since you have plenty of examples that measure different.  They are probably the right forks since they look like the closest examples I can find.
Thank you,
Scooter

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2022, 04:09:50 AM »
Scooter, are you coming to Portland next month?
Rick

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2022, 05:02:55 AM »
Good morning,
I bet that would be neat, but I do not have time to travel yet.  When I retire, I plan to venture out again.  I have a few things on my bucket list.
Thank you,
Scooter