Author Topic: Ignition switch wiring  (Read 367 times)

Tim

• View Profile
    • Email
Ignition switch wiring
« on: August 16, 2023, 03:59:23 PM »
I have a 1956 Simplex Automatic with the switch shown in the picture. I have installed a Predator engine on it and I am now trying to configure the lighting and ignition to work with the original switch. I am absolutely confounded by the switch connections.

I plan to use a rechargeable battery to run the lights. I assumed that if I put a continuity tester on the ground terminal and then the other various terminals of the switch, I would be able to determine how to make my connections. The only continuity result I can get is on the ignition terminal. Said differently, I can put the tester on the ground terminal and the first terminal counter-clockwise and can open and close the circuit by moving the switch back and forth from off to the first position. I assume this is where I would put my engine Kill-switch wires.

However, I cannot figure out any way to get continuity between any of the other terminals in any of the key positions. How can I introduce a battery and lights to this circuitry?

Tim

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ignition switch wiring
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2023, 04:04:32 PM »
Never mind. I seem to of had a bit of corrosion that was preventing me from making a good connection. I found that there is a circuit between the second post counterclockwise and other terminals.

ramwing7

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ignition switch wiring
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2023, 07:16:29 AM »
I'm struggling with a similar issue.

Which terminal are you calling the ground terminal?

Thanks.