Author Topic: Tips on mounting Coker tires please  (Read 4929 times)

illMATTic

• View Profile
Tips on mounting Coker tires please
« on: April 20, 2013, 12:42:05 PM »
Ok so after a very long 45 minutes I have given up on mounting my Coker Simplex tires.

Please share your mounting techniques.

These tires are stiff as all get out.  :o

Thanks in advance.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tips on mounting Coker tires please
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 12:46:44 PM »
I had no trouble mounting these at all.  I just used a little soapy water on the tire and squeezed them right on the rim without any tools.  Are your rims the 1" or 2" wide?
Rick

illMATTic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 01:12:26 PM »
I am running a worksman in the front and stock 2" in the back. I'll have to try the soapy water. I was using baby powder. Plus I may need to warm the tires a bit.

I could ony get it on about 3/4 of the way.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 01:22:05 PM »
I have heard they are hard to mount on the worksman rims, but I have never done that.  I have mounted them on 2 sets of 2" wide rims.
Rick

illMATTic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 01:48:57 PM »
I have one side of the tire on.  ::)

HOWEVER

A motorcycle type tube WILL NOT work on the Worksman rims. The rolled clincher lip makes for zero room to fit the valve and the tire bead.

I am giving up for today. I blew a gasket already. I think I will study it a bit more with some beers in hand.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 01:50:28 PM »

I am giving up for today. I blew a gasket already. I think I will study it a bit more with some beers in hand.

Ah, the old thinking fluid!  Same as drinking beer while bowling, except, then it is called aiming fluid.  LOL
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 02:33:36 PM »
Tomorrow supposed to be sunny here in Midland/Saginaw.  Leave them lay out in the sun while you hit the liquid courage!  Might help to soften them up.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 04:09:34 PM »
And be sure the valve stem is not on the first or last to seat at. Have it where you pass it about halfway up. Small flathead screwdrivers and take small bites while keeping the tire to center rim as possible. Most of all good luck.  :o

OnaWingandaPrayer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 06:29:13 AM »
 When I mount tires on my Goldwing wheels I use Armorall original protectant . IT will lube the rubber and is not going to leave water behind to cause rusting/corrosion . In the case of the wing we dont want corrosion to set in on the aluminmum wheels which are tubless .
  Also if you let the tire set out in the sun for an hour or so to warm up it becomes more pliable .

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 06:48:38 AM »
I'm putting new tires on my Victory at the moment.  They are wide whitewall Dunlops & the side walls are so thick & stiff that I gave up on the first one & took it to the local motorcycle shop to have them mount it & install a new tube.  60 dollars later, I decided I could figure out how to mount the 2nd one myself.  Should be interesting.....

Simplex tires are a piece of cake.  Keep the beads as close to the center (opposite of where your prying) to give you the most slack to get the bead over the edge of the rim.
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 07:02:15 AM »
Here ya go Mike .

http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-tire-changer-69686.html

I've used this changer on car and truck tires as well as bike tires . Made the job bearable .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 07:12:15 AM »
When I mount tires on my Goldwing wheels I use Armorall original protectant . IT will lube the rubber and is not going to leave water behind to cause rusting/corrosion . In the case of the wing we dont want corrosion to set in on the aluminmum wheels which are tubless .
  Also if you let the tire set out in the sun for an hour or so to warm up it becomes more pliable .

I'm not sure I would use armorall, or any other silicone based product, as it will leave a slippery substance behind.  On old clincher style wheels, such as simplex, this could lead to the tire coming off the rim.  With the water, after it evaporates, no worries.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 07:28:36 AM »
Agreed Rick .
Of all the tires I have changed , using very soapy water , I've never had any problems .
Goes around , Comes around . :)

illMATTic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 12:42:25 PM »
Thanks guys. I need to get a HD tube with a standard valve stem on it to work with the Worksman rim. I have not tried the rear 2" rim yet. I am sure it will be much easier than the front.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 06:58:15 PM »
PD, how do you use that HF changer on motorcycle tires?  The axle hole thru my wheels is about 3/4 inch.

I have my own tire change machine, an old Coats 20/20 unit that I bought out of a gas station that was clearing out their garage so they could convert to a convenience store.  It's great for car & truck tires, but not designed to accommodate bike tires.

For my rear tire I plan to use a vice & clamps to collapse the side walls on one side to help in getting the opposite side flopped over the rim.
Mike Sal