Author Topic: To those that have used other than stock wheels  (Read 2067 times)

ltcps

• View Profile
    • Email
To those that have used other than stock wheels
« on: May 03, 2013, 06:09:26 AM »
At the point of finally ready to make engine mounts and have to decide what rear rim to run.

Worksman is less than helpful in supplying a 26" wheel with drum brake and sprocket once they find out it is not going on a bicycle. Don't know if it is a liability problem or what.

It sounds like their 77A and 77AR would work but I don't know if they will fit the slightly less than 5" I have to work with on the rear.

A lot of pictures have appeared on this site showing modified bikes but no mention as to what wheels were used. Most of the pictures seem to have been taken at different shows but no owner comments or ID's given.

Since some of us can't travel to these shows (money, time, distance, family, etc.) I would be nice if a note were left at some of the bikes giving this web site  address so they can share their experiences. It would enrich us all.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: To those that have used other than stock wheels
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 06:56:42 AM »
See this website and call them.  I bet they could help you out.

http://www.piratecycles1.com/
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 08:58:43 AM »
And you were keeping this a secret WHY.  ???

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 10:45:28 AM »
I have never used them Reese, but I came across their ad when I was looking for some worksman wheels. 
I found a pair of 2" simplex rims instead.  I won't hold out on you guys!  Lol
Rick

ltcps

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 05:26:42 PM »
I ordered a set from Pirate but they wouldn't work (I don't remember why) and they were good enought to take them back. The ones they sent were not worksman but another they handle.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 04:04:37 AM »
This is a Piratecycles set-up. It was on a Worksman wheel.  Looks pretty awesome and the machine work looks great. They look like they have some other awesome components as well but rims and hubs require such a combination that has been hard for me to get to match up plus get the look I want. It's either that there isn't enough spoke holes in one or the other or the rim dia. is wrong OR something!.  I have been diligently searching for my wheel combo and found a rim that was a great choice but could only find one! I wasn't a wide rim in an alloy color. This rim had recessed reinforced spoke holes, double wall and 47mm wide. Just have to find a mate to it then it comes in black so I would want to maybe change the color.  It's been a bit frustrating.  I have plans to run  cog belts though a jackshaft. And I plan to put my hyd. disc brake on the jackshaft so that should answer to any room issue at the rear wheel. I post some pics of my ride soon. And let you know what wheel combo I end up with.

ltcps

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 06:07:23 PM »
Hmmmm.... bolt-on sprocket! has anyone tried one on a simplex wheel?

With the drum would there be room? the stock wheel hub housing is not smooth, would that be a problem?

Something to think about. Maybe just remove stock pulley and bolt on?

Comments?