Author Topic: Mounting rear wheel  (Read 3429 times)

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
Mounting rear wheel
« on: July 30, 2013, 06:27:57 PM »
I installed a new rear axle in my rear wheel tonight and went to mount it with 2 new acorn nuts from Wayne, and the acorn nuts bottom out before I get it tight enough to hold the wheel on. I can put some spacers on each side, but the book don't show any spacers. Am I doing something wrong, Or missing something???

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mounting rear wheel
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 07:27:13 PM »
Hmmm....I bought some new acorn nuts from Wayne also, but havent' installed them yet.  I did notice that the O.D. of the "step" is smaller than the original acorn nuts.  I have some large washers as spacers between the hub & drop out plates to help center the pulley & keep clearance to the fender braces.

I'll check out mine to see if they tighten up. 
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 07:43:41 PM »
James, do you have the jam nut installed?  There is a jam nut on the non brake side.  On the side with the backing plate, there is a full thickness nut with a star washer.

If you have all this, measure the total axle length and report back.  I will see if I have a disassemble one to compare it to.
Rick

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 07:53:57 PM »
I have the jam nut on the non brake side, and the same size jam not on the brake side, without a star washer....if it is supposed to be a full thickness nut, that may be the problem. The axle is the same length as the one I replaced. Also is the axle centered, or offset to one side or the other?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 08:04:02 PM »
The Jam nut is .190" while the full thickness is .450".  That may be the difference you need.
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 08:10:25 PM »
Well on mine I did a double nut on the non break side and a double thick one on the break side.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 06:29:25 AM »
Well on mine I did a double nut on the non break side and a double thick one on the break side.

Reese, is that a double nut or just the adjusting cone?  Hard to tell from the picture.

Another thing, under the acorn shoulder nuts, do any of you guys use washers?  I use outside star washers under mine.

Rick
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 09:06:22 AM »
"Another thing, under the acorn shoulder nuts, do any of you guys use washers?  I use outside star washers under mine."

I have the star washers on the front axle and 'pan' washers on the rear .

Obviously , I need Ricks enclosed trailer :
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 10:23:51 AM »
I have large washers under my acorn nuts (on the rear wheel).  I don't think there's enough surface contact with just the nut, or one of those star washers, on the drop out plate.

I wonder if the original intent of the shoulder on the acorn nut was to interact with the wheel adjusters they used in the early years.
Mike Sal

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 10:40:13 AM »
As you can see there is no washers on mine and to weather or not there a cone under there I don't recall. Sidebar on this subject it may be a long time before it gets taken apart.

Pd. If I would of found where he had his trailer parked I would have a enclosed trailer myself. He he he

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 11:21:23 AM »
I have large washers under my acorn nuts (on the rear wheel).  I don't think there's enough surface contact with just the nut, or one of those star washers, on the drop out plate.

I wonder if the original intent of the shoulder on the acorn nut was to interact with the wheel adjusters they used in the early years.
Mike Sal

Mike, I thought that may be an issue, but I have not had any movement in 2 years now.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 06:02:28 PM »
The pan washers that are on my rear axle have been there as long as I've owned the bike . The nice snug fitment leads me to believe that the washers are OEM .

I call them pan washers because of the raised outer edge . That would lend itself nicely to sliding through the drop out plate without scrapping the paint off .
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 06:56:56 PM »
I think I just need to get the double thick nut for the brake side.... the wsher on the outside looks to be a good idea also, as I can already see some scraping on the powdercoat from putting on and removing tthe wheel a few times while adjusting the axle. Thanks guys.