Author Topic: Recharging a Flywheel  (Read 7826 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Recharging a Flywheel
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 04:45:14 AM »
It would be a mistake to change the position of the flywheelm key from the original setting,  the relationshio between the key and the position of the magnets as the magnets have to be flying past the coil laminations at just the right position as the points crack open, the proper way to change spark timing is to move the stator plate one direction or the other so the spark would be optimum ,( strength-wise ) changing the timing has many variables ,   ethenol ( yuck ) fuel , condition of engine .and fuel , oil mix ( I use 50-1 opti 2 ) premix and never had an oil related failure in a two strioke  (yet )     I work as a mechanic at a golf course , and the stooges that operate the equipment here are brutal .

Maybe I am missing something, but wouldn't turning the stator plate change the relationship between the magnets and coil laminations the same as turning the flywheel?  I know on 4 stroke kart engines, this is done all the time.

Rick
Rick

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 07:22:56 PM »
Hi there   It's me again ,   the stator plate contains the points and the coil along with the laminations it is mounted on  ,,,you advanve the stator plate ( counter clockwise ) and you advance the points AND the coil ,  if you change the flywheel key position you  dont change the timing because you don't alter the point cam position onthe crankshaft   But you alter the magnet position in relation to the point position ,   I think Kart engines use ignition coil with built in spark trigger , then the timing will be altered by changed flywheel key position only.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »
Makes sense.  I remember my outboard boat motors had coil plates that had several degrees of rotation for advancing the spark.
Mike Sal

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 09:25:07 PM »
Interesting topic,as I never knew the relationship of magnets mattered as they passed the pickups. I will wait on repairing that flywheel ,until I find out proper position
Jeremy c.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 05:12:18 AM »
Ah, that makes sense.  Thanks.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 01:02:41 PM »
didn't have time to have the cad guys do a better job, but here's a napkin sketch of where the keyway is in relationship to the closest poll piece.
Mike Sal

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 07:00:26 PM »
Hi there ,   got simple bracket made to position pheolan hub ,   Give a call with shipping address so I can drop it off at the post office tamale .  ( no charge) my good deed for today ;D

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 08:00:26 PM »
Larry, what's your bracket look like?  I thought about making one too.  I was going to cut a tapered piece to fit the keyway & tapered hole, then bend the rest of it over to make a pointer to the edge of the closest pole piece.
Mike Sal

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 06:43:18 PM »
     !/2 inch bolt about 2 1/2 inches long with  1/8 inch hole drilled through about 3/4 inch from head ,,, then nail clobbered into hole and sawed off about 3/i6 to catch keyway ,,,  inserted from insude the flywheel , nut on outside with flat wasker to draw hub up tight against pressed steel flywheel ,   then 3/8 rod placed across bolt head between magnet pairs ,brazed to bolt head,  no need for taper ,   I gotta get my internet camera skills together,     easy quick jig from stuff laying around ;D

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 06:49:44 PM »
got ahead of myself, :-[   need unmolested flywheel to make one ,   I knocked this together in aboit 10 minutes, 

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 07:29:54 PM »
Hey, Larry I sent you an e- mail with my address . Just wondered if you received it , I usually screw up when I try computer messaging.
Jeremy c.