Author Topic: engine cost  (Read 6837 times)

Bruce

• View Profile
engine cost
« on: October 11, 2013, 06:07:40 PM »
Im curious what a stock engine rebuildable usually goes for? hard to find? I dont see any here for sale so I wonder

.38 Spcl

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: engine cost
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 07:18:06 PM »
There have been a couple on ebay recently one w/o the mag went for $790 and one w/o carb was $660 Wayne sells complete rebuilds for 2gs. Just keep looking...

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 08:20:03 PM »
Engines are so expensive because many were tossed in the garbage back in the day.  After Simplex closed down, no parts were available for 25 years!  It took several people in the 1990's to get some parts made.  It seems that all those people are either dead, or out of the simplex parts business, with the exception of Wayne.  If anyone knows of others producing parts for sale, please post the info!

That being said, some parts are easier to find than others.  The are no new cases, cylinders, or flywheels/magnetos being made.  Just too cost prohibitive.  Wayne seems to have most other parts available, including billet rods, pistons, flywheel covers and he even has a  new crank available.

I know the person who makes the handlebar grips passed away several years ago.  The widow is still making them, but is old, and wants to sell the business.  Unfortunately, I understand she wants quite a sum for the business, and has found no takers.

Gary Wollard estimated that there was twice as many bikes out there as engines!  This is one of the reasons Wayne just developed a kit to put a honda 6.5hp engine with torque convertor in a Servi-Cycle.
Rick

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 04:28:13 AM »
Im catching on to all this now and I see now.  I may put the HF212 on one too but didnt wanna lay it down with the cylinder pointed back.. I hafta check and see if it can be rolled 90 degrees like I did on my ambassador..........   like this

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 10:23:52 AM »
I believe that even though it was a nice simple design, the Simplex motor didn't have enough "safety margin" built into it to survive the abuse of teenagers.  The placement of the marginal airfilter down by the tire in the post war years didn't help either.  Once broke, they got taken apart & thrown away. 

I wonder how much trouble it would be to have a reverse camshaft made for the newer motors so they would spin the opposite way so they could be mounted in a chasis without facing backwards?  Starting would also have to be worked out.
Mike Sal

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 11:19:52 AM »
So you want the pull start on the left side of the bike sal?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 12:07:14 PM »
I believe that even though it was a nice simple design, the Simplex motor didn't have enough "safety margin" built into it to survive the abuse of teenagers.  The placement of the marginal airfilter down by the tire in the post war years didn't help either.  Once broke, they got taken apart & thrown away.  

I wonder how much trouble it would be to have a reverse camshaft made for the newer motors so they would spin the opposite way so they could be mounted in a chasis without facing backwards?  Starting would also have to be worked out.
Mike Sal

Why bother?  With the GC series, motors are upright, and look really good.  I think what we need is Wayne to develop a kickstart for the GC190 motor.  As IllMattic posted, converting to a GX flywheel and coils gives us lighting power!  To me, this is huge, and was THE one thing holding me back from putting one on the 3 wheel truck.  My next conversion will have either a GC190 or GS190, which is the heavier duty version of the GC with a cast iron sleeve.

I know I have posted this picture before, but this is without a doubt the finest motor conversion I have ever seen on a simplex!  I would use a torque convertor instead of a clutch though.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 04:15:10 PM »
Notice how he had to run the brake rod on the outside of the frame rail.  I wonder how he hooked to the pedal?
Mike Sal

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 05:43:26 PM »
212 s can be had with charging coils too..that pic you show of the GC,have electric starter?

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 05:44:18 PM »
Nvm....I see the pull cord now

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 05:44:48 PM »
Notice how he had to run the brake rod on the outside of the frame rail.  I wonder how he hooked to the pedal?
Mike Sal

I wonder if he just shortened the brake pedal cross shaft and just moved the attachment point out about an 1 1/2"?  I think that would be doable.
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 05:48:00 PM »
212 s can be had with charging coils too..that pic you show of the GC,have electric starter?

The only electric start available on a GC motor is 120 volt, as used on snowblowers.  Why they don't offer 12 volt electric start, I don't know.  Did you see where Matt put the GX flywheel and coils on the GC motor?  Straight forward bolt on conversion.
Rick

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 05:53:33 PM »
Yes I seen that....very nice.     I agree I don't like how the 212 like laid down with the cyl pointing at the rear wheel......easy to see why you like the GC

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 08:31:35 AM »
Anyone have experience with the mustang 148cc 4 stroke used on the newer copies? Looks nice but I can't find a breakdown of it without the trans etc.

rsduda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 05:12:48 AM »
Mike Sal

are there any pics of the port side I am thinking of doing this to mine any info will help
thanks
Ron