Author Topic: A rider ...  (Read 166284 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A rider ...
« Reply #135 on: December 28, 2012, 07:27:44 AM »
Has anyone found the fixed pulley with the bushings in a parts manual?  The manuals I have show part # 2290, which is for the single track fixed pulley, and this includes bearings and bolts according to the book.  Part # 2290B is for the double track clutch, and just lists the pulley with bolts, but no mention of  bearings or a bushing. Interesting, part # 2290 was $8.95, whereas #2290B was $6.80, which would lead one to believe that it might contain a bushing, which would have been cheaper.  I wonder why they don't show the bushing separately though?

Come on Mike Sal, I know you love these mysteries?
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 28, 2012, 07:40:47 AM »
Can we get some comparison pics , please ?

Pictures and a discussion of this is here: http://www.simplexservi-cycle.com/index.php?topic=223.30

Sorry, the pictures I posted were not the greatest.

Thanks for that Rick .
I thought I'd read most of this site . Guess that's one I haven't . :)

About the fixed pulley , I have the same info , Rick .

And then the mystery of the double bushing ...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 07:55:40 AM by pd »
Goes around , Comes around . :)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #137 on: December 28, 2012, 08:13:19 AM »
Rocker clutches are way easier!  LoL

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: December 28, 2012, 08:27:17 AM »
Rocker clutches are way easier!  LoL

Except when you have to ride one!  What was that SQEEEEEELING???  Oh, that was Tom engaging his rocker clutch!!  LOL 
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 28, 2012, 08:57:13 AM »
I have read that Automatic Transmission thread prior . I posted in that thread a few times . DOH ...

Halfhiemers is the only explanation for my forgetfulness . ;)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #140 on: December 28, 2012, 09:02:22 AM »
I have read that Automatic Transmission thread prior . I posted in that thread a few times . DOH ...

Halfhiemers is the only explanation for my forgetfulness . ;)

I didn't want to mention that, I thought it would be bad form!  LOL

We are getting to be a good database of info on here, more than I thought when Bob got the site started 2 years ago.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 28, 2012, 10:25:50 AM »
Agreed . The deeper and longer we dig , the more 'gold' we find . ;)

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: December 28, 2012, 12:56:24 PM »
Ok I'm set for Portland got the time off. So I will be needing some info to make this work. Who do I call to reserve a spot, is there power outlets, what is the cost on entry, should I book a room some place, and where is it held in Portland? ???

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 28, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »
All good questions Reese . I'd like to have the answers myself as there is a possibility that I might be able to make Portland , too . 

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: December 28, 2012, 01:36:24 PM »
Well I am planning on bringing two bikes if possible and lots of questions and stories. 8)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: December 28, 2012, 04:07:34 PM »
Rick, so far I've not found anymore than you regarding the bushings....

Re: Portland.  It shouldn't be too much longer before they post the registration forms for this summer's meet (19 thru 24 July).  Judging from last year, there are adequate camp sites, but don't expect to get one with any shade....all the old timers have them scooped up.  I know that they added a lot more power hook ups, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem either.  If your shopping for parts, especially Simplex parts, getting there early is paramont.  The 3 Simplex "old timers" who were there last year had every Simplex part (except frames) scooped up by Thursday, before the meet offically starts. 

They are working on a new website (the old one is limp).  www.vintagemotorbikeclub.org
Mike Sal

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #146 on: December 28, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
I bought a camp pass through VMBC.  I camped right by Simplex Hill. There were some outlets. And showers.  I got there early.  Drove in and parked!.  One time when I went to Portland I asked where should I park. They replied, "anywhere".  So once you clear the gate don't be bashful.  Be sure to bring your current membership card to get free each day. I have stayed at the Super 8 in Portland a couple of times. It was nice.  I think it is called the Portland Inn now.  I won't be monkeying around this year and will drive straight to the grounds!  Be sure to go down to  the judging building and register to vote on the bikes there. They will give you One of the miniature plates that has VMBC on it and the year of the show.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 29, 2012, 10:15:22 AM »
Great . Thanks for the info Guys . Hopefully , I can make it to Portland without too much hassle . :)

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 29, 2012, 06:41:35 PM »
Reese ,

While I was cutting a new gasket for the compression plate , I noticed that the plate didn't want to settle nicely onto the motor case mating surface . Taking a closer look , the plate and the mating surface were not meeting as they should . The plate was slightly bent and the motor mating surface seemed a bit higher toward the outside of the 'circle' . Using the best straight edge I have ( a high quality dial caliper ) , I confirmed that I was right . I carefully used my best flat file to level the surface , double checking with the caliper edge as I progressed . Once satisfied it was as level as I was going to get it , I laid the plate in place and tapped it into a more correct form . At least now a gasket would be able to do it's job .

That process had me looking farther . I checked the motor carburetor mount and found a similar situation . I flattened the mount and test fit the carb in place only to find that the carb mounting flange was wrapped to the point that a gasket would have done absolutely no good at sealing the joint ( also confirmed by the caliper edge ) . I took the carb to the belt sander and rough leveled the mating surface , finishing the job with the flat file and a check with the caliper edge of both the motor carb mount and the carb flange mounting surfaces . Now a gasket is hardly needed , but I'll use one just because I already have one cut .

What really puzzles me is the fact that I rode the bike with this motor and carb 47 years ago . How it ran then , I have no idea .

Anyway , all this somehow reminded me of your motor running poorly and I thought that possibly you might have the same type things causing your motor problems . You said that you checked everything else . Did you check these things ?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 06:45:43 PM by pd »

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #149 on: December 30, 2012, 04:31:58 AM »
You are on to something there pd.  Being a machinist my whole life I have always paid close attention to nice machined surfaces and good strong threads that hold them together.  Even when I am not able to machine something I will still use 220 grit sandpaper and flat sand it on a surface plate.  It's not always safe to expect the gasket to assume the warpage. 

I bet you're anxious to be sittin' on your bike and feel the wind in your face once again!