Author Topic: A rider ...  (Read 166276 times)

pd

• View Profile
Re: A rider ...
« Reply #240 on: February 04, 2013, 10:21:02 AM »
OK . Thanks for that . :)
It's always good to know alternatives in case the factory setting doesn't work out .

I think I'll start with the factory setting , because my carb body is an MT48 as opposed to an MT1 .
I'll like find out soon enough if that too rich or not . Hopefully , there's not too much difference in the carbs .
Goes around , Comes around . :)

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 04, 2013, 06:07:55 PM »
Hmm , maybe I'll just clear coat it and run it .

« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 03:43:01 PM by pd »

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #242 on: February 04, 2013, 06:18:30 PM »
Looking good, but you got to check out ebay. Somebody has listed a front fork with fender not worth what he asking. But here's what drew me to look at it. Double pin stripping on the fender the first I've seen that looks to be stock.  :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #243 on: February 04, 2013, 07:10:28 PM »
I saw that fender.  Do you think that ornament is from a dodge, or a JC Whitney knock off? 

That tank looks nice, but you'll love it even more with color on it.  The guy who painted mine smoothed out the warpage on the top surface, even though I had told him it was no big deal.
Mike Sal

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #244 on: February 04, 2013, 07:43:17 PM »
Looks to be a knock off but with the age could be from just about anything. Did you notice the pin stripping also goes down the brackets!   ::)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #245 on: February 04, 2013, 08:23:43 PM »
I've seen several photos of early Simplex's with lots of pin striping on the chassis.  Not sure how much was factory & how much was "extra cost".
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 04, 2013, 09:03:06 PM »
The seller seems to be dreaming ...

As for my tank , yeah , it looks pretty nice all cleaned up , but , I'll paint it ( same as the fenders ) .

kjwiley

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #247 on: February 05, 2013, 04:17:55 PM »
 Your bike is turning out real nice. Great Job!!

Ken

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 05, 2013, 08:19:02 PM »
Thanks , Ken . :)

I'm having fun with it . Hopefully I'll be able ride it again , before too long . That'll really put a grin on my face .

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 09, 2013, 07:37:07 PM »
I painted the tank today . Like the fenders , it's not 14 coat nice but we're gonna run it .

I also started on the exhaust 'system' today . Angles + angles and then into curved surfaces ... I could use a few hands . LOL
I screwed up a hole in the muffler , so I was forced to break out the JB Weld . :(
I intend to paint the system black anyway , but still , the idea ...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 03:54:22 PM by pd »

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #250 on: February 09, 2013, 08:31:22 PM »
Are you sure jb weld hold? I would cut a round peice with the right size hole and braze it on like a collar supporting a piece of pipe.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 09, 2013, 09:02:59 PM »
I'm not sure if the JB will hold or not , Reese . I plan on building it up into a collar shape . I wouldn't think the heat will hurt it . Maybe the vibration will do it in . I don't know . It's definitely an experiment . I plan on giving the whole system plenty of support , so weight shouldn't be a problem .

If it proves to be a total flop , I guess I can just grind the JB out and try the brazing / collar  . Practice makes perfect ??? :)

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 15, 2013, 09:02:47 PM »
This is not what I had in mind when I started building the exhaust . Due to some of the most unforgiving pipe ...
I have a manual pipe bender that I've used for years . The pipe I planned on bending into tail pipes would not bend . I even heated it to red hot . NO go . I did manage to crack the pipe where I had tried to make the first bend .

Being as I had the holes cut in the muffler section for the tail pipes and I wasn't going to be going to town in the near future , I settled on a pair of shorty pipes . They'll dump about at the back side of the motor .

I'm not real pleased , but , I'll run it until I can come up with another system .

So , here are a couple pics of what became of my exhaust building :

« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 03:55:33 PM by pd »

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #253 on: February 16, 2013, 04:32:27 AM »
That looks good Pd and it sounds like that is a weird pipe that doesn't bend. Where is the rear mount to support it from shaking. The original had a hole in the tip of the pipe that bolted to an engine mount. I added a S piece of metal to hold it up.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #254 on: February 16, 2013, 07:34:39 AM »
It would be interesting to know just what kind of steel that pipe was made of.  Where did you get it? 
Mike Sal