Author Topic: A rider ...  (Read 166284 times)

pd

• View Profile
Re: A rider ...
« Reply #285 on: February 23, 2013, 05:39:23 PM »
I think I'll try the washer thing , Mike . Thanks .

I noticed when mounting the rear wheel that there was a good quarter inch or so clearance between the inner axle nut and the mount plate , before I tightened things . I had to look in the manual to be sure there wasn't suppose to be a spacer or such in there . It just seemed too much clearance .
Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 23, 2013, 09:01:59 PM »
Here's a couple pics of the 'new' finished kick stand .

You can see that it hangs a couple inches lower than a stock kick stand .

There's about 3 1/2 " clearance with me on the bike .

I used a round head screw as the locator 'nub' . The stand works just like the stocker , but keeps the bike at a better resting angle . :)

« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 04:18:37 PM by pd »

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 25, 2013, 05:01:00 PM »
I'll share my method of removing Simplex spark plugs without removing the gas tank if a few of you long-timers will share your tried and true method .

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #288 on: February 25, 2013, 05:53:59 PM »
I'll share my method of removing Simplex spark plugs without removing the gas tank if a few of you long-timers will share your tried and true method .

Box end wrench.  It is as simple as that.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 25, 2013, 08:56:03 PM »
Rick ,

I just went out and tried a box end wrench . It works for the right side plug once the left side is out . I can't get the wrench far enough down on the left plug to even start getting any hold . I'm using NGK B4H plugs . Are you using more than a single washer ?

Anyway , I use a needle nose vise grip pliers . It reaches the hex portion of the plug with plenty of room to spare .

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 26, 2013, 03:56:53 AM »
Pete, I just tried the box end wrench on another cylinder that I have and it was a very tight fit, but still worked. I also have an offset box end wrench, but that one is forged much bigger and would not fit.  An offset wrench like that could be ground down, and would probably work well. 

The easiest thing to do would be to order one of Wayne's replica plug wrench that he lists on his price sheet.

Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 26, 2013, 07:23:38 AM »
I thought about modifying an old chainsaw wrench/screwdriver . Cutting the tube and reattaching the screwdriver handle , but ...
 It's easier to pic up the phone and write a check .

kjwiley

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #292 on: February 26, 2013, 04:13:30 PM »
 I cut down a socket and welded on a handle with a few finger slots. It works great!!

Ken

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 26, 2013, 05:03:08 PM »
Ken ,
I recall your post a few days ago on those and the tool kit / pouch . I like ... :)

On another note , an exhaust note , to be exact , my bike actually starts and runs .
That's only while choked , so I figured there was a bit too much air coming in . I pulled the carb and found the wading that is suppose to plug the 'drain' tube in the intake being held from fully coming out by the screw that comes up from underneath the intake . It didn't take much to remove that wade . I plan on plugging that hole , but haven't decided on what I want to use .

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #294 on: February 26, 2013, 07:57:37 PM »
Congrats on getting it running.  I still haven't put any gas in mine.  Maybe in a month......:(
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 26, 2013, 08:25:07 PM »
 Thanks , Mike .

:-[ I really wanted to hear it run . It's only been 48 years and I don't even have the rear fender mounted , yet .

I guess my impatience is showing , again . ;)

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 27, 2013, 07:16:54 PM »
I'm not sure if the JB will hold or not , Reese . I plan on building it up into a collar shape . I wouldn't think the heat will hurt it . Maybe the vibration will do it in . I don't know . It's definitely an experiment . I plan on giving the whole system plenty of support , so weight shouldn't be a problem .

If it proves to be a total flop , I guess I can just grind the JB out and try the brazing / collar  . Practice makes perfect ??? :)

A couple of good backfires and the JB Weld blew out . Surprisingly enough the sound of the exhaust did not change with the extra hole . I do think that the extra hole allowed too much free flow exhaust as the motor quit very soon after the blow out . I was able to see inside the muffler for a second or two immediately after the 'event' . Things were orange hot in there . I used regular flat black paint and it is still intact but for the blown out area . That's another surprise .

Backfires ... Obviously , I have to make some changes in the carb .
It also blew back through the carb a couple times .
It's been a while since I've played with two stroke carbs . I'm thinking that my problem is likely too lean a mixture . But , if I richen the idle mix , the motor dies . I'll pull the carb and go through it .
Maybe time for an extra hole in the meter tube ???

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 28, 2013, 05:39:19 PM »
I pulled the carb to check everything . I reset the float level to 1 15/32" and drilled another set of holes in the meter tube to match OEM . There was a very small amount of 'dust' in the float bowl , so I checked the sediment bowl . Sure enough , there was some crud in there , too . As I was cleaning the sediment bowl , it slipped to the cement . No saving a thousand shards ... :(
Hopefully , I can find a replacement .
 It really pissed me off . I had been careful with that when ever I handled it ever since I bought the bike , 48 years ago . Gone in a second . 

Where might be the best source for a good replacement bowl ? I've found complete assemblies , but no bowls that fit .

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #298 on: February 28, 2013, 06:10:13 PM »
PD. your local lawnmower shop would have a replacement or call Wayne he has them too.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #299 on: February 28, 2013, 07:50:36 PM »
PD I feel your pain.  Last summer some birds got into the shop & I had the bright idea of taking them out with a bb gun.  I had to be carefull where I shot because I've got so much stuff in there I didn't want a miss to damage something.  Needless to say that I did have several ricochets.  A few weeks later I happen to walk in front of the Model T (a '26 Touring) &  thought something looked odd on one of the headlights.....you guessed it.  a nice big bb hole in that poor lens that had survived 86 years only to fall prey to a big goof like me.  :(
Mike Sal