Author Topic: A rider ...  (Read 166279 times)

pd

• View Profile
Re: A rider ...
« Reply #345 on: March 16, 2013, 08:52:51 PM »
Thanks , Reese . :)

That sounds about right . Although , I've been trying to keep my problem solving to one or two 'attempts' at a time , lately . It seems to be working , so ...
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #346 on: March 17, 2013, 05:59:23 AM »
It's a single output coil . It must be fairly strong , as both plugs fire . I did try running with a single plug connected . No difference .

And , speaking of coils , I'm not sure my lighting coils are putting out anything of use .
I might try rewinding them . Or maybe I'll fit some coils that are a bit more 'robust' .
What does Wayne get for his replacement coils ? That might be an easier way .

Pete, Wayne doesn't have the Phelon coil listed in his parts sheet, so you will have to call him.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 17, 2013, 07:16:17 AM »
Thanks , Rick .

And so , my (re)search begins ...

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #348 on: March 17, 2013, 07:26:46 AM »
Thanks , Rick .

And so , my (re)search begins ...

Pete, I do seem to recall Wayne telling me Phelon parts are available.  Just because something is not on his price list, doesn't mean he doesn't have it,
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 17, 2013, 08:48:46 AM »
True , Rick .

Maybe I shouldn't be too quick to dismiss that option . Thanks . :)

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 20, 2013, 06:59:27 PM »
I couldn't seem to get the MT48 carb dialed in . It would allow a couple of putts each kick , but would not start .
 I put the MT9 carb together and installed it .

With the MT9 , the motor starts , runs and revs when cold and free wheeling . When it gets hot , it dies .

I'm going to switch ignition coils next . Hopefully , like the adage says : 90% of carb problems are electrical .
Although , there is spark cold and hot . I'm just not sure it's a strong enough spark .

And then there's the no power thing . It bogs and wants to die when any load is applied .

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 22, 2013, 10:01:01 AM »
After playing with carb adjustments , I had the bike running long enough to get another mile ride in before it quit . About the same as last time . I have not switched coils , yet .
I've tried pulling one wire and it seemingly made no difference .

Here's a pic of the stator plate before I cleaned it up :

The replacement coil ( tan colored ) was used in a marine application ( I have a second coil ) . It was meant to fire a single plug , but it does fire both plugs . That might be asking too much from the coil . The replacement coil is a bit bigger than the original dual plug coil . I'll try running it with a single plug for a longer time and see if that makes a difference . I have narrowed the plug gaps a few thousandths to maybe help compensate . The plugs are non resistor type and the fired color of both are identical .

Are the original type dual plug coils still available ?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 05:05:15 PM by pd »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #352 on: March 23, 2013, 02:19:12 PM »

Are the original type dual plug coils still available ?

Don't know the answer to that question, but I think you should only have one plug connected.

By any chance, did you happen to check the ring gap before assembling the motor?
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 23, 2013, 03:16:28 PM »
I tired the single plug route . That doesn't seem to make much , if any , difference .

The ring gap measured a snug .014" . I took another compression reading . Cold and hot . Both were 80 pounds or very close .

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #354 on: March 23, 2013, 04:09:44 PM »
I tired the single plug route . That doesn't seem to make much , if any , difference .

The ring gap measured a snug .014" . I took another compression reading . Cold and hot . Both were 80 pounds or very close .

When it will not restart, pull the side cover and see if gas pours out.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 23, 2013, 06:08:07 PM »
I did that this afternoon . Gas , too much , poured out . I pulled the carb and set the float deeper in the bowl .
I had the adjustment screws at a half turn out on the main ( bottom ) and close to the same for the idle screw .
I left them alone after the float adjustment .
The bike ran for a short time and quit , again . :(

I'll get it running , sometime before I die , Hopefully .

And , the meter tube has only 6 holes . I'd tried 8 , but that was too much . I soldered two of them closed .
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 06:18:53 PM by pd »

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #356 on: March 23, 2013, 06:29:01 PM »
Well Pd keep trying you will get tune in soon. What's your fuel mix ratio or maybe the oil type or fuel strength. Just thinking outside the box.  ???

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 23, 2013, 07:20:50 PM »
Fuel > oil is 40 > 1 . I've been thinking about 50 > 1 . But , it should run OK on 40 > 1 . And , it does , when it's cold .
 I have to switch ignition coils and see if that changes anything . I tested both coils and they Ohm out the same , but that wouldn't necessarily show a break / weakness when hot .

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #358 on: March 24, 2013, 03:56:18 AM »
Condenser.  ???

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 24, 2013, 09:21:58 AM »
Reese ,

Thank You very much for that reminder . :)

I hadn't even considered the possibility of the condenser being faulty . I guess it's been too many years since I've worked on point and coil magnetos .

This brings the question : what size condenser ?

I'm sure the condenser has to be matched to the coil . So , I'll have to do a bit of research to find the correct one used with the coil I'm using .