Author Topic: age of my bike  (Read 5566 times)

Eric

• View Profile
    • Email
age of my bike
« on: July 16, 2016, 04:27:24 AM »
  To register my bike for the road I need written proof of the age is there any one out there that could do that? the frame number is17090. if not has any one got any ideas how I can get this. the DVLA. need this before they will give me a registration number, and NOVA  the import tax people need it and proof its been in this country over ten years  otherwise I will have to pay import duty on it.     thanks  eric

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: age of my bike
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 05:32:50 AM »
Via the registry it is a 1958.  What is your engine number.  Post some pictures to validate but none the less your frame is what it is.

Eric

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 01:19:40 PM »
 I did post a couple of pictures on  Simplex  automatic.  who can give me this imformation in writing.  that's the most important part.     eric

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 01:36:47 PM »
I did post a couple of pictures on  Simplex  automatic.  who can give me this imformation in writing.  that's the most important part.     eric

No one is going to be able to give you anything official.  No records exist from Simplex. According to Gary Wollard, everything went to the dump when they closed up shop.
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 03:13:55 PM »
I see the pics now.  (Sometimes I don't always login)  That is an interesting bracket on your rear fender.   Hmmm.... We could re-pop some old Simplex letter head! 

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 10:09:37 PM »
Surely someone from the "Simplex Historical Society" could validate this for this fine gentleman. I'm sure it could be printed on "official" letterhead.

8)

I can even get it postmarked from the same zip code as the original factory location.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 10:21:01 PM by Eitek1 »

Eric

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 01:43:23 AM »
 Thanks for this, that would be fantastic.   eric

Eric

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 07:33:56 AM »
 As for engine number as I said before it has been ground of ,but i did not know why, I was talking to a gentleman this morning that said he had bought a number of ex usaf vehicles over the years and they all had the engine numbers ground of. must have been something they did when they sold them. we shall never know.  does any one know what range of numbers a 57/58 would come into. I might just stamp  the same number on it as the frame number.the DVLA would accept that because a lot of old british bikes had the same engine number as frame number.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 07:55:20 AM »
Simplex never used the same number on the engine and frame.
Rick

Eric

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 09:24:59 AM »
Yes I know that, but what range of number would it be for this frame number

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 10:35:16 AM »
Take a look at the registry . That should give you an idea .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 03:32:52 PM »
Anyone have a good digital copy of the Simplex Logo?

Eric

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 01:20:06 AM »
looking at the registry it does not make cence, frame number go up,  a lot of engine number go down.i did find one frame number just 52 before mine.did engine numbers go in order or did they just take one of the shelf and not bother about the number.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 04:21:42 AM »
The general consensus is that Simplex didn't follow any particular order.  It seems they just grabbed the next engine out of the bin, installed it in whatever frame and moved on.

Here is the Servi-Cycle logo.  Just grab it off here and make your own expert letter!  lol
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 04:40:07 AM by RickS »
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 05:36:38 AM »
Eric it saddens me to learn that English "burrowcrats" are descended from the same government rodents as those of your American cousins. That said Eitek1's offer of an "official" letter, restamping the engine & a copy of our registry should get the ball rolling. If you have Gary Wollard's historical work, that alone verifies the company hasn't existed in decades. Verification of the frame as U.S. Air Force motor pool origin should help. Are there markings on the frame to back this up? If so how long has major U.S. military presence in Great Britain been eliminated or incorporated into that of your own armed services or those of NATO's? I bet it's been a lot longer than ten years, so duties might be eliminated, but for the fact that you're still dealing with the rodent's mentality of disruption of others peace of mind &  the need to soil the rules of logic while they determine the outcome of any request & elevate their own estimate of significance. Rick C.