Author Topic: 1956 Simplex Automatic Lighting  (Read 829 times)

Tim

• View Profile
    • Email
1956 Simplex Automatic Lighting
« on: June 08, 2023, 07:32:25 PM »
I'm a newbie to this site having just traded a 1952 Cushman 700 series for a 1956 Simplex Automatic. I'm not new to scooters having had a succession of Lambrettas, Vespas, [Hondas] and several Cushmans, most of which I rebuilt/restored or modified significantly.

My Simplex is a beauty that had been sitting idle after a 2000 restoration.  A new carb and some cussing got it running as well as they apparently will, but not enough to accelerate my 175lbs comfortably into neighborhood traffic to make coffee runs…pub crawls are out of the question.

With help from Wayne Mahaffey, I'm now embarking on an engine upgrade to a HF Predator 212 cc (racing engine) which I'm told promises 50 mph. My question is how to handle lighting.  I'm yet awaiting the engine remount kit from Wayne, so I don't know what the native Predator electrical system will do.  I'm considering replacing the bike bulbs with 12v LEDs and wondering if the Predator has any electrical output that will power those low amp lights...I doubt it.  If not, what are my options?

I could go with a detached rechargeable battery, but I hate the extra nuisance of always recharging a battery. Are there small generator options and what are they?  Thanks.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1956 Simplex Automatic Lighting
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 04:32:42 AM »
Welcome, nice looking Simplex.  I’m a stock kind of guy, but if you are going to put a Predator motor on it, Wayne’s kit makes it a bolt in.
I’ve have never put a lighting coil in a Predator, but google Predator 212 lighting coil. Lots of info out there, looks easy to me.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 05:43:45 AM »
Welcome Tim . :)
Beautiful bikes , all .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Tim

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2023, 09:39:20 AM »
Yes, I now see plenty of Predator 212 flywheel and coil options, but most seem to exclude the Ghost and/or hemp (mine is the ghost racing engine). Any experience out there on other options.