Author Topic: 48 servicycle project in MN  (Read 7570 times)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
48 servicycle project in MN
« on: June 05, 2013, 07:02:27 PM »
Started a 48 servi to ride.  Currently waiting for parts from Wayne M. to install a 212cc motor kit.  Looking forward to getting it up and runnin'.  It's nice to belong to a forum and benefit from others experience and share solutions.  Here's pic of what I've got so far...

pd

• View Profile
Re: 48 servicycle project in MN
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 07:50:38 PM »
Welcome carryall .

Nice start . What motor are you going to run ? 212cc what ?

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 08:11:56 PM »
Welcome carryall .

Nice start . What motor are you going to run ? 212cc what ?

I'd bet Harbor Freight.
Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 04:11:21 AM »
Hello guys,  you are correct... Harbor Freight Predator engine.  I got a great deal on one, and Wayne said he has motor mount plates/kit to fit so I don't need to "chop up" the frame.  Not quite sure what it all entails but I'll trust Wayne knows what he's doing.  I had to repair the seat support spring that was broken off at the neck when I got it.  I ended up welding a mild steel bracket to the neck area and using S.S. bolts to attach the spring to it. (welding spring steel can be tough)  I was looking for a close up pic of Waynes motor mount plate and engine kit set-up to see what it looks like.  Anyone have pictures of it?

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 10:15:25 AM »
You either have a very comfortable garage, or a very understanding wife to let you bring that thing in the house!

Very nice looking bike.  I have not seen one of Wayne's kits.  Please post some pictures when you get it.
Mike Sa

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 04:08:27 PM »
Thank you.  I wasn't sure about the "John Deere green" but it turned out nice with the old leather seat.  As for my "garage/shop",  I live in what was supposed to be, a "seniors only" condo and the rules say I can't work in the underground parking area so I "sneak" projects up in the elevator at night when the old ladies are asleep and work on them in my condo.  (I'm only 50yrs old)  I've built ALOT of small bikes in the corner of the living room over the past couple years like Honda CT90s, Honda Cubs, various mopeds, etc...) By trade, I work as a steel fabricator, so I do the welding, motors, and major painting at work and do the final assembly/detail work at home so my grandson can "help" me when he's over on the weekends.  "We" just finished a '76 Yamaha DT100 and designed/built him a small sidecar for it, so we can take trips to the river to go fishing, or to the D.Q. for ice cream together.  (He's too young to ride on my big bikes... ZR7, V-Star)  That's how I got the ServiCycle.  A neighbor liked all the little custom motorbikes he's seen me work on/ride around, and asked if I wanted another project that he had up in a garage attic collecting dust.  Too cool to pass up I figured.   When I get my stuff from Wayne, I will post some pics of project as it gets built.    

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 04:56:01 PM »
Nice bikes!  Come on down to Portland, Indiana next month for the VMBC meet.
Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 07:05:58 PM »
That would be nice, but I gotta work while I can. I'm having prostate cancer surgery soon and need to save money for my time off while recovering. Not to mention I'd probably come back with something new on a trailer. LOL.  Are you bringing a bike to the show? 

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 06:27:12 AM »
carryall ,

Best of luck with that surgery .

Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 12:55:53 PM »
That would be nice, but I gotta work while I can. I'm having prostate cancer surgery soon and need to save money for my time off while recovering. Not to mention I'd probably come back with something new on a trailer. LOL.  Are you bringing a bike to the show? 

Yes, I will probably bring 3.
Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 03:17:31 PM »
I used to live in Indianapolis and go to the Indy 500 museum a lot. BUT, If you are interested in airplanes, especially WWII aircraft, you really should visit the air museum at Wright-Patterson A.F. Base in Dayton, Ohio.  It is the most incredible collection of aircraft anywhere!  They have HUNDREDS of them and include everything from the Wright Flyer to the YF-22 and everything in between.(also some of the space/NASA stuff)  Every time I've been there I have learned and seen new/different things. It's the only place I know of that you can actually walk up and touch the plane and appreciate what it would have been like to fly them in combat.  They even have a movie theater that plays various educational movies and gun pod footage.  Awesome place to walk around.   

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 06:24:36 PM »
I do ww2 reenacting & often get to play in and around some of the ww2 war birds.  It is awesome to have a radial engined fighter bomber buzz you at tree top level.  I've dumped a whole magazine of blanks into a Mustang that flew so low I could look right at the pilot.  I had a B24 fly right over as the bomb bay doors opened up so we could look right up into the plane (in real life we would have been having a bad day.....I'm usually one of the bad guys).
Mike Sal

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 07:25:08 AM »
Someone has to be "the bad guy".  Ya carry a Mauser 98 then?  On a Servicycle note...I got a call from the guy I got my Servi from, and he found a box with the original glass teardrop shaped tail light lens and bracket along with the headlight trim ring with reflector and bulb. SCORE!  I assume these parts are in short supply cause I couldn't find any on "the web" anywhere.  I'm kinda paranoid the tail lens being held on with just a little spring tho? I also talked with Wayne M. and he said my "stuff" will be shipped out on Monday.  Yaa!  Hopefully, I'll be tinkering with getting the bike on the road next weekend and get some pics up of the motor plate and associated parts for the engine install.  Where should I post them?

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 08:04:21 AM »
That is a lucky score that he found them for you. Doing those shows sounds fun. The best I've got was watching F16 fighter jets do target practice with there 20mm Vulcans standing on a tower level with the planes leaning as far out as I could. It was look right plane fires look left bullets hitting the ground and close enough I could of spit on them. Still wished there was cell phones then.  :'(

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 08:16:41 AM »
I share the same paranoia with my lens as that was the only piece missing on my bike when I got it. The spring does actually clip it pretty well though.  I run one of the glass marker lamp lens(they come up occasionally on ebay, check for zephyr) when I am just putt-ing around but will put my original one on if I manage to get into the judging while in Portland.