Author Topic: 48 servicycle project in MN  (Read 7568 times)

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 48 servicycle project in MN
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2013, 09:55:56 AM »
This is for you Mike!     ;D ;D ;D

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2013, 10:58:12 AM »
That is VERY COOL!  Just needs a ring mount .50cal machinegun for gophers now. LOL 

OnaWingandaPrayer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2013, 04:54:08 PM »
Thats quite a project . Very unique .

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2013, 07:31:42 AM »
That's a great idea "CARTJOCKEY".  I just bought a amber glass lens and base for a Zephyr, off E-Bay for about $25.  This site and its members are a much appreciated source of info. I just removed the gas tank from the motor I plan on using,(plan B) and am thinking about making a "cover plate" over the governor/throttle linkage to clean up the look of the engine. At first I planned on using this motorized bike set-up. (plan A)  I may end up re-doing the air filter/carb housing, but will wait till I get it up and running. (looks like a outboard engine LOL)  Then the muffler will come off and I'll fabricate a more appropriate motorcycle looking exhaust pipe that runs back towards the left axel too.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2013, 07:52:37 AM »
That's a great idea "CARTJOCKEY".  I just bought a amber glass lens and base for a Zephyr, off E-Bay for about $25.  This site and its members are a much appreciated source of info. I just removed the gas tank from the motor I plan on using,(plan B) and am thinking about making a "cover plate" over the governor/throttle linkage to clean up the look of the engine. At first I planned on using this motorized bike set-up. (plan A)  I may end up re-doing the air filter/carb housing, but will wait till I get it up and running. (looks like a outboard engine LOL)  Then the muffler will come off and I'll fabricate a more appropriate motorcycle looking exhaust pipe that runs back towards the left axel too.

I removed the governor and built a simple bell crank linkage.  Helped clean up the motor.

Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2013, 08:03:57 AM »
Until I get it running I wont know how well it runs with the governor.  Did you have issues with the gov., or just got rid of it to simplify things Rick?

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2013, 08:29:44 AM »
A governor's goal in life is to maintain a constant (the case of a motor, the rpm).  In a motorbike application, you need more flexibility to control speed.
Mike Sal

BTW I need one of those mowers....maybe I wouldn't be able to break it as easy.....I managed to break both craftsman mowers this week....
Mike Sal

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2013, 08:36:10 AM »
So I can get rid of the springs and associated "arm" that goes to the throttle linkage then? (sorry for dumb question but, I'm not real familiar with these type small engines)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2013, 08:45:08 AM »
So I can get rid of the springs and associated "arm" that goes to the throttle linkage then? (sorry for dumb question but, I'm not real familiar with these type small engines)

You need to remove the internal parts.

Read this:   http://www.affordablegokarts.com/govenor-removal.php

It was very easy.
Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2013, 08:59:24 AM »
Does everyone do this mod. to the motor, and is the valve spring "swap" necessary along with the disconnection of the "low oil sensor"?

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2013, 09:34:54 AM »
While opening up the side case the gasket tore.  Where do I get a new one? or can I just use gasket sealer ya think?

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2013, 09:40:34 AM »
If it didn't tear bad yes use high temp with the old gasket. Then a trip to the local lawnmower shop should be taken you might get lucky.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2013, 10:28:37 AM »
When removing the side cover on a Briggs or engine like that you should always consider the crankshaft endplay when re-assembling. The gasket acts as a shim to make sure the endplay is set correctly. Just make sure there is enough endplay there before making the decision to omit the gasket. I would suggest using a gasket every time.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2013, 10:30:51 AM »
Does everyone do this mod. to the motor, and is the valve spring "swap" necessary along with the disconnection of the "low oil sensor"?

I disconnected the low oil light, because on a motorbike, we lean these over while turning and I didn't want the engine to quit.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2013, 04:44:18 PM »
I wonder how well these engines run if the fins were removed from the flywheel & the air shields removed (it would make it look less like a lawnmower engine)?  Mounted on a motorbike the airflow might keep it cool enough.
Mike Sal