Author Topic: New member/owner of a '57 Automatic  (Read 4021 times)

robmerrilltattoo

• View Profile
    • Email
New member/owner of a '57 Automatic
« on: August 03, 2015, 10:47:16 PM »
Hi All! Finally, after a handful of years, I was able to scoop up a mostly complete/ok shape '57(i think)Automatic locally, and without breaking the bank. Yet;) Really looking forward to reading all the posts here on the forum and learning all i can, and to sharing my experiences working on the bike and getting it in fine running order. Already have it all stripped down and just waiting on a large box of goodies from Wayne Mahaffey.(Great guy!) Really looking forward to this project!
Thanks to all for sharing all your knowledge!

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New member/owner of a '57 Automatic
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 04:06:43 AM »
Welcome Rob!  That is a fine looking machine you got there. I'm not sure I could have brought myself to tear that one apart and restore it, as they are only original once!  LOL  Did you have it running before the teardown, or was something amiss?
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 06:29:19 AM »
Welcome Rob . :)

Don't worry . Rick is just jealous . ;)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

robmerrilltattoo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 11:11:06 AM »
Thanks for the Welcome Rick and Pete!
Sooo, I did manage to get it started after much fiddling with carb and just cleaning plugs/connections. Should have done that first start outside as it promptly firehosed a good part of my shop with a nice layer of oil from the exhaust ;)  But i took if for a spin anyhow and was pleasantly surprised by the pickup it had. Doesn't have any brakes to speak of so didn't really open it up ;D
I will keep original paint on tank n fenders but think i will paint frame, fork, other supports/mounts as they're pretty scratched,scraped n bruised. Just gonna focus on a really nice motor/wiring/bearing/fork overhaul for now. Will be posting pics and comments/questions as I go along. Already seeing a few parts i will be making myself, which is always fun ;D
Looking forward to sharing with everyone. And learning something new!

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 12:55:12 PM »
Well here's a big HOWDY from Texas and a hearty handshake.

On the bike leave the looks like they are. Clean it, redo breaks, clutches, wheel bearings, and tires,  and maybe the seat. Then leave the rest alone. I would kill to get a complete bike to work on. Beside the finer they look the more it hurts when there damaged.  :o

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 07:47:43 PM »
Rob ,

You'll notice that Reese said 'when' , not 'if' . ;)

Just like getting a new car ...

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 10:15:33 AM »
Rob, post up your frame & motor number.  I wonder if your bike may be a '56 rather than 57 (brake switch on top side of frame rail, bolt on rear wheel pulley, & leather seat rather than plastic)?
Mike Sal

robmerrilltattoo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 10:09:14 AM »
Hey there Reese, thanks for the warm welcome. So yeah, decided to just leave the paint(minus a few areas of touch up) and focus on the mechanics. Have someone here in San Francisco who does really nice work on seats, so will be getting the seat pan powder coated  ;) 
    And yes Pete, firm believer in the "when, not if" way of thinking ;)
Mike, here's the numbers:   frame: 13985
                                         motor: M22392B
                                         carb: Tillotson MT57A
                                         magneto: Phelon (which is why Wayne thought it was a '57)
Thanks again guys! Just talked with Wayne this morning and will be getting my box of goodies next week! Will definitely document the progress and will have more questions I'm certain ;D
til then...

butch27

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 08:23:49 PM »
Welcome from Michigan.