Author Topic: Engine.....Exhaust  (Read 4028 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Engine.....Exhaust
« on: February 05, 2012, 07:27:16 PM »
Instead of having 2 long exhaust pipes going back to the rear of the the bike, mine has one short pipe which is cut off at an angle & is bolted to one of the engine mounting bolts.  The exhaust exits at the motor mount plate.  This doesn't seem right to me.  Do you think it's been modified, or was this also a system they used? 

I'd prefer the double pipes.  Are they hard to come by, or do i need to modify the muffler I have?
Mike Sal
(I was kinda rooting for the Patriots......)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Engine.....Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 07:54:19 PM »
They used both types depending on the year.  The dual pipe looks better IMHO.  I just add the aluminum covers to mine and they look awesome!
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 10:48:50 AM »
Is there much of a market for the short pipe types, or should I plan to modify this one?  I've got bending mandrels for tubing (one of my other hobbies is blacksmithing), so fabrication of some pipes wouldn't be too hard.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 12:31:03 PM »
I'd bet it sell on ebay.  The short muffler goes for $105, the dual pipe long $210.

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 04:50:22 PM »
I just read in the Wollard book that the dual pipe exhaust used a fake pipe on the left side & a restricted pipe on the right side (a washer w/ 1/2" hole at the end of the pipe).  Is this true?

Also, what hangers are used to support the dual exhaust.  I can see the hangers at the back, but what about up front?  They don't just let the shoulder bolt at the manifold hold it up do they?
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 05:48:55 PM »
I've never seen an original dual exhaust, so I couldn't say anything about 1 side being a dummy.

Wayne's reproduction exhaust uses both pipes.  There is a hanger under the engine that attaches to one of the engine mounting bolts.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 07:02:59 PM »
Hmmm.  Check out Gary's comments about mufflers on the last page of his book (pg 40) & the reference to the factory mechanic saying they ran better with the restriction.  I wonder how much, if any, eperimentation Wayne did in developing his reproduction muffler/pipes?

I know that 2 strokes are very finicky when it comes to balancing the aircleaner / carb jets / exhaust together.  When I was a dirt biker, we'd have to play with them when we'd put expansion chambers on in place of the stock exhaust pipes.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 07:06:38 PM »
Yeah, I've read that also.One day I should plug one of the pipes and see if I can tell a difference.  "The old Banana in the tailpipe trick!"  Anyone remember what movie that was from?

Rick
Rick

ltcps

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 07:18:05 PM »
Beverly Hills Cop

Driver

• someday...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 08:48:03 PM »
I thought that Axel Foley used a Tater.
jack of all trades, master of none...

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 07:21:37 AM »
Hmmm.  Check out Gary's comments about mufflers on the last page of his book (pg 40) & the reference to the factory mechanic saying they ran better with the restriction.  I wonder how much, if any, eperimentation Wayne did in developing his reproduction muffler/pipes?

I know that 2 strokes are very finicky when it comes to balancing the aircleaner / carb jets / exhaust together.  When I was a dirt biker, we'd have to play with them when we'd put expansion chambers on in place of the stock exhaust pipes.
Mike Sal

I spoke with Wayne this morning and he says he did not do any scientific experiments with exhaust testing, but he tried plugging one side, and tried a reducer and did not feel any difference.  He said he had seen all three types from the factory also.
Rick