Author Topic: Engine.....Fuel System  (Read 8019 times)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Engine.....Fuel System
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 02:53:41 PM »
There is a spot in the throttle that has sort of a detent to be like cruise control. My MS style tillotson has a spring that goes aqround the throttle shaft kind of like a torsion spring. I added a small spring at the carb to have good throttle return.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 04:29:24 PM »
Tom, does your bike use the pin type system? On the later ones they use a slide style.

Rick
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 04:43:37 PM »
It has a pin that fits in a track and to throttle up you actually twist reverse of modern day motorcycles.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 05:28:56 PM »
It has a pin that fits in a track and to throttle up you actually twist reverse of modern day motorcycles.

The later style twists in the same direction as a modern motorcycle.  I find it ironic that custom bike builders of today brag about hidden throttle linkage and simplex had it in the thirties.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 09:14:26 PM »
Since I've not been able to get in touch with Wayne, I thought I'd check to see if the local parts store could get the gasket kit for my carburator.  The NAPA store catalogs don't even list any MT series Tilloston carb.  I wound up making my own (I really needed the packing gland for the needle valve....made one from some leather I had laying around).
Mike sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 05:03:19 AM »
Cushman used tillotson mt carbs.  Dennis Carpenter Cushman has the rebuild and gasket sets.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000024u~Z5Z5Z5ABESB~P5.25~~~~S3FN0RJ60Y69123917924c~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000024U

Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 10:20:14 AM »
I couldn't get the shopping cart to work on the website, so had to call the 800 number....they told me minimum shipping charge is 10 dollars.....for a 5 dollar gasket set......Hmmm.  Guess I stick with the homemade gaskets.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 12:26:39 PM »
Typical mail order!  You would think they would throw that in the mail for $1.
Rick

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 01:46:08 PM »
Mike
 I just used the Dennis Carpenter Web site to order a gasket and screen for my Tilson Gas Filter. The web site worked fine for me and got my parts already. The shipping is a killer $9.99  for $4.00 of parts. I will still use them , but get a list of parts first to save on the times I use them. It is nice to know that we still can get a few parts still. Bill

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 02:48:27 PM »
I was able to re-use the parts in my sediment bowl.  The screen was pretty clogged, but after soaking & working it over with a fine brass wire brush, it's good as new.  The gasket was still pliable too.  The only part that was saved was the rubber packing gland for the fuel line.  It disintegrated.  I'm thinking about replacing that aluminum fuel line with a piece of brake line & using flared fittings.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2012, 03:40:15 PM »
I used copper lines and compression fittings.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 03:46:18 PM by RickS »
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2012, 04:51:32 PM »
Copper lines & gasoline are not a good thing.  It's not a matter of if, but when, it will work harden & crack.  I've been forging copper quite a while (one of my other hobbies is blacksmithing) & can tell you copper doesn't stay soft.  I know people have used copper lines over the years, but I don't think it's worth the potential risk.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2012, 05:11:51 PM »
I figured with a limited use bike I would be fine, but in light of what you said, I think I will change to aluminum.

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2012, 08:18:56 PM »
What oil ratio are you guys running in your engines?  Back in the old days when I lived on a lake & did a lot of dirt bike riding, I used 40:1 in every 2 stroke engine I had (140hp Mercury outboard & various motorcycles that were old enough not to have oil pumps) & never had any issues of any kind.  Just curious how these little long stroke motors get along.
Mike Sal