Author Topic: flooding problem  (Read 3364 times)

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
flooding problem
« on: March 13, 2012, 04:42:17 PM »
 :'(  Hi I'm new here but I've been around simplex bikes my whole life. I built a 58 model or at least I call it a 58 custom.  My engine was one that was giving to my father some 20+ years ago. When I got it with a bolt or two to hold it down and a shot of fuel after carb was brush out it ran fine on the ground. But after 18 months of mail ordering and driving many miles to get parts, its finished . It even ran several test starts once assembled . Then when I'm going to show it off to my brother and ride with him on his, its starts flooding the engine block with fuel. I've cleaned the carb several times reset the points polished the coil facing  but nothing helps . It won't run very well and the engine will almost fill up with gas. I even reset the carb adjustments to what the the manual said several times but no luck. Anybody have a clue what could be wrong. And as soon as I can get the picture thing figured out I will post a photo soon.

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: flooding problem
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 05:34:36 PM »
Usually I have found when the float level is right and the floaot isn't sinking due to a hole . This is almost always a compression problem. I haven't had my simplex running yet but have had this problem with numerous chainsaw and other 2 stroke cycles put a compression gauge on and just see what you have should be 65 to 70# I think
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 05:53:30 PM »
I agree with Jeremy, check the float very carefully for stress cracks.  I've had lots of problems over the years due to 50 year old brass floats cracking (also, 100 year old kerosene lamp fonts tend to stress crack).

Now is a good time to ask the question regarding that "drain hole" that starts near the carb mounting face (on the crankcase) & angles down & exits underneath the crankcase.  The manual mentions something about some felt in that hole & mine has something in it (I cant run a wire thru it anyway).  Is this supposed to protect us from the crankcase from filling up with gas? 
Mike Sal

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 06:27:19 PM »
I have not check the compression or if the float sinks yet. That is a good place to start. Thanks for the help.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 06:54:04 PM »
Let us know what your frame & motor number are so I can add you to the registry.

From your handle, are you into kerosene lamps?  I have a few.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 08:14:44 PM »
I fought this flooding also.  I had a rebuilt carb. Flooded!  Put a new needle and seat in from Wayne.  Still flooded!  I then ordered a carb kit from Carpenter cushman, as I figured I had nothing to lose.  While waiting on this kit, I read somewhere that to seat the needle on the Tillotson MT, push the needle into the seat firmly with a pencil eraser. I did this with the new one, and Viola, it doesn't leak a drop now.  I left the compression plate off for 3 days, left the fuel strainer turned on and it was dry as a bone in the motor.  If I did this before, gas would continually pool in the case.

Now, for the drain hole.  Wayne claims not necessary.  He said to just put a little JB weld in the hole and be done with it.  The screw on the bottom of mine was stripped, so I did as he said and haven't seen a problem. 

Rick
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 10:47:19 PM »
Mike, yes I do like the old lamps I have a few. Well more than a few more like 37+

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 04:10:46 AM »
I've restored a jade green Corinthian & a green Beehive (Aladdin) lamps for my mom (the behive belonged to my dad's grandma) & I've got a model 9 Aladdin, an early Rayo (had to re-machine the gear on the rayo), and an '1910'ish Pittsburg Iris pattern parlor lamp (unfortunately the globe is gone).....so no, we don't go in the dark around here when the power is off either!!!  I'd like to go to the aladdin convention in Missouri this summer, but not sure if I can make it (have to check the calendar).  I've also got a few flat wick lamps but they aren't as much fun to work on as the round wick type.
Mike Sal