Author Topic: spark plugs and fuel mixture  (Read 6695 times)

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
spark plugs and fuel mixture
« on: April 03, 2012, 09:12:41 PM »
What sparkplugs do I need , and what is the correct fuel mixture tag on machine by choke says to just pore oil in to one side of gas tank without premixing tis seems unusual I also seem to recall reading somewhere about using 40w motor oil.
Jeremy c.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: spark plugs and fuel mixture
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 03:34:03 PM »
NKG B4H. 
40-1 synthetic 2 stroke oil.  I premix, I don't know why one wouldn't.

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 03:46:27 PM »
I've used 40:1 ratio for all my 2 strokes for as long as I can remember & never had issues with fouling. 

I'm also interested in knowing what plugs everyone else is using.  NGK used to have a motorcycle plug that was bullet proof, but don't remember what the number was.  I wonder what brand simplex used when new?
Mike Sal

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 04:29:01 PM »
Thanks for the info few more hours and a couple more trips to the store may be all it takes. I want to here that little guy run!
Jeremy c.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 05:09:54 PM »
In the 1947 Servi cycle manual posted on here it shows a drawing of a spark plug with the same shape as these. The ones in the stand are the ones that were in my servi when I restored it. They appear to be original. I always believed my bike to be low miles and road with dirt and dust getting in the carb(air tube was broken) thus shortening it's life quickly. The other is NOS. My Edison catalog lists a #57TS for Simplex but mine had #57t.

I run a Champion fine wire in mine and only have the Edisons to fondle occasionally!

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 05:18:08 PM »
Cool display, never seen Edison plugs before
Jeremy c.

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 05:46:00 PM »
Hello ! my two cents worth ,    NGK B4h are what I use also ,     the primitave engine won't benefit from the new " cookin dude " plugs  ,,   .015 plug gap is plenty ,   large gaps tax coils ,  If it runs fine there is no need for huge spark clearances ,   ;D  also I use opti 2 mix at 50 / 1,   engine runs cool and very little smoke , carbon issues have been almost non existant ,,  don't make mistake of adding oil to mixture ,  extra oil will lean out the mixture ,replacing fuel with oil , which in turn mixed with air , will LEAN the muixture making the engine run hotter, (honest engine ),   no outboard oil either ,    flashpoint only suitable for water cooled engine ,   will become less effictave at air cooled engine tempatures <    ,,,break in engine slow over a long time and STOP if any sign of seizure (loss of power ) is noticed ,    a liottle time on the side of the road will pay off in little or no repairs    ;D    happt riding Y'all     Larry.

OEM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 02:27:31 PM »

Hey Larry thanks for the input ....I had new plug and gap on my mind.  OK, you guys go with 50 to 1 mix ....but what octane to you use?  I run some Stihl equipment and the 3 dealers in this area require 89 or better octane for their 2cycle engines.  One independent shop reccomended higher.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 03:06:28 PM »
I was wondering if my mix was right or not more like not. I still not work on mine lately mainly looking for a better fuel bowl assy. The one I got from Wayne dips on my footboard all the time. I would like to shut the fuel off to the whole unit. But I will be trying the fuel mix and point gap y'all suggested.

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 06:01:04 PM »
For what it's worth ,   I personally use the " recreational gas " fuel without ethanol , because I hate the very concept of mixing a low btu fuel with the good stuff ,   I don't worry too much about octane either because the deflector type piston doesn't allow for real high compression , or high enough to matter in one of these,  I watched Gary Wollard cut down a cylinder base to raise compreassion ,  I ended up with one of these Jugs and put it on an engine and I couldn't tell the difference between the two ,   . this procedure had to have altered the port timing somewhat and didn't make any more noise than the stock jug ,  regular octane gas and all, ,,,, Summary ,  my suggestion ,  non ethanol regular  50/1 opti 2 and a well adjusted carburetor is a GREAT benifit for longevity cooling and performance ( if that word actually applies ) ;D

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 07:28:58 PM »
I will be trying these this weekend after I retrofit my trailer for wider load. I did get my third and forth day off for the years its up at 6am to bed by 2am. Just so I can get a full value for days I have.  :D

mike montgomery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 02:06:49 PM »
So Larry,
If I am understanding you correctly, 6 oz of 2 stroke motorcycle oil per gallon is making the mixture too lean??? Mike

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 10:46:04 PM »
  Hi there ,,, this one got me going also ,    picture this ,   two strokes run on a combination of fuel and air,  ,,,,,,,,fuel consists of gas and oil ,       the carb doesn't know , ( or care )  what the fuel gas mix is , sso it will allow the metered flow of premix in and mix it with the oncoming air,        (stay with me )   more oil in the fuel  mix ,means less gas will be mixed with the oncoming ail ,   result will be more oil but less gas ,  = lean ,  more heat , less power,,   ask a diet bike guy and you'll see     Larry. :D

OEM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 04:29:37 AM »
Brown, Thanks....I have never thought of this ...never been exposed to this thinking.  I'm facing the new day with new knowledge...... and best to all of you on this Easter Sunday morning !!

OEM
Wallace Kemp

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 01:36:45 PM »
thinking scares me