Author Topic: reassembly of engine  (Read 8048 times)

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
reassembly of engine
« on: April 06, 2012, 03:02:31 PM »
Ok, I had a world of frustration today. I got my motor together and everything got tight I looked everywhere for the problem and could not put my finger on it finally after pulling things apart again it seems the motor pulley is tightening into the motor case. Should there be a space between bearing and pulley working from a phone as I do I can't download manuals
Jeremy c.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: reassembly of engine
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 04:22:20 PM »
Did you put new bearings in?  If so, are they seated?  When you assembled the engine, did you put the crank assembly together and check rotation before adding the rod, piston, and cylinder?  I seem to recall that the motor pulley tightens right up to the oil seal bushing.  You put this in, right?

Rick
Rick

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 09:31:29 AM »
I did put new bearings in 20 yrs ago. Then quit work on it everything rolled freely so I didnt see a need to go back and re check that work, but what happened is after I installed that belt every time I turned if over the pulley tightened more, the bearing is not seated lacks about 3/16 so crank seal spacer is sunk in to far I am back at ground zero.had good compression and flywheel is fixed too .  Very frustrating but shouldn't be to bad to fix.        I hope
Jeremy c.

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 11:09:00 AM »
I didn't know to heat the case in the oven back then might be what i need to do to get that bearing seated how long should I heat it what temp will this hurt the bearing?
Jeremy c.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 03:31:34 PM »
15 minutes @ 400 degrees is the recipe for success.

Rick
Rick

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 05:15:42 PM »
Well after I made that last post I got to looking I had about 3/16 between bearing and oil seal so I thought bearing has to be seated but is bearing not as wide as original so I called Wayne told him what was going on. He said it sounded like the oil seal needed to go in further it wasn't flush with the case it was out about 3/16 so I removed crank took a 11/16 deepwell socket and drove out bearing and seal sanded outside of seal as Wayne said to do , reseated bearing and drove seal in flush reassembled everything and all is better there, but I still have a problem with that darn flywheel wanting to drag
Jeremy c.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 05:38:50 PM »
Is the flywheel hitting on the coil laminations on the inside?

Rick
Rick

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 05:45:51 PM »
Yes, that flywheel tool Larry made pulls the two pieces together and cinches them tight, so iam not sure what's going on. Could it be bent?
Jeremy c.

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 05:55:30 PM »
I thought I hit the jackpot earlier, I went cross town to my building and deep in my archives of obsolete junk a mercury kickoffer engine with a familiar looking phelon flywheel in mint condition I pulled it off and brought it home only to find it slightly different.    Oh well.
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 06:12:32 PM »
Jeremy, what are the differences between that outboard flywheel & the one for the bike?
Mike Sal

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 06:22:41 PM »
Slightly smaller,and only one set of magnets it really looked promising at first glance
Jeremy c.

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 08:39:11 PM »
Iam thinking of putting ducttape over my pickup dominates then putting flywheel on over the tape to maintain clearance,have keyway marked, then tac center hub in from the front drawing it up tight just won't work any thoughts??
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 09:10:29 PM »
Are you sure the face of the flywheel isn't bent?  Have you check to see exactly where the rub is?  Try putting some dykum (or use a sharpy marker) & color the face of the pole pieces and the faces of the laminations.  Put the hub on the crank & then spin the flywheel while pressing down in the center so it doesn't tip.  I think either the flywheel is bent or one of the lamination stacks are out of position. 
lots-o-luck
Mike Sal

mike montgomery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 09:12:07 PM »
There is a guy in Florida who will re-work a flywheel.  Larry Brown should know his name.  I believe that it is Elbert ?

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 09:20:25 PM »
Iam beginning to think the face of the flywheel is bent I can see where it cuts scratches in the laminates on one side ,I don't think those are slotted to adjust ill play with it again tomorrow
Jeremy c.