Author Topic: reassembly of engine  (Read 8047 times)

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: reassembly of engine
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 10:31:53 PM »
  Hello ,,, sorry you are having trouble ,    The flywheel guy is Elbert Faris , ( he's the spitting image of the late comedian Foster Brooks )  but he has only done wico flywheels , He puts in a new center hole with steel disc riveted  to original part ,  he puts three holes in the steel disc for the puller / pinion ,       a little spray paint on the magnets and the laminated pole parts should revear the culprit in short order maybe pull a plug and turn over slowly and look for "wobble " of flywheel ,  ( if it is a small amount it shoild still be ok A dial indicator would show if crank is bent  ,  maybe even woodruff key too large ?  stuff like this can really tax your patience,   I hope problem is small with a quick fix !      Take care ,,, ;D  Larry.

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 04:26:52 PM »
Iam throwing in the towel on this flywheel thing ,make some phone calls tomorrow probley starting with Wayne and ending at UPS . The more I try the worse it gets
Jeremy c.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 05:11:42 PM »
The last time I talked with Wayne, he was trying to find a replacement flywheel. On thing to keep these bikes running the other was to get it to have a 12volt supply. You may ask to see if he any closer to getting a break Thursday on this.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2012, 05:59:54 PM »
If you don't have any other sources or offers, you can send your flywheel to me & I can see if I can fix it.  I've still got my flywheel off & can use my motor for a fixture.
Just let me know.
Mike Sal

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 07:50:34 PM »
Thanks Mike , need a fresh set of eyes looking at this
Jeremy c.

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2012, 10:08:13 AM »
Sitting in the garage thinking again. Trying to figure out why I am having so much trouble with that flywheel rubbing . Does this picture look correct I have a 1/4 inch here.
Jeremy c.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2012, 12:05:58 PM »
Jeremy,  it is hard to see what you are showing there.  Did you get a new flywheel from Wayne?

Rick
Rick

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 02:57:23 PM »
Jeremy , I bet you a brazillian dollars this could be solved over the phone ,  I figured out that you have a tape measure between the crankshaft counterweight and the crankcase , ???   tightening the pulley , ( left hand thread should draw the bearings tight together and the crank should spin free ( unless it is bent , )   does installing the stator plate bind things up ? if so suspect bent crank , ( i have straightened them )  remove parts until crank spins free and give it a few turns as you put the engine back toghether  please feel free to give a call   314 609 6568     Larry.

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 06:39:28 PM »
After phone conversation with Larry I assembled engine. I was very pleased with how easily the bearings came out after the oven trick. I am pretty sure all the bottom end is ok back together every rolls easy until I install flywheel I painted laminates and it hits everyone I heated and removed center hub from flywheel once again put it on the crank tightened completely and spun crank holding rod post hub hobbled pretty bad can't pinpoint why. I then pulled hub back off and made a pointer with a roll of solder pointed right below treads on crank, as suggested by Larry crank ran true. Something is wrong with that hub it seems. On the bright side I now feel better about the bearings and crank
Jeremy c.

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 07:23:22 PM »
It would seem the hub somehow is " wacked "       might maybe think on removing hub from flywheel that came from outboard ?      maybe for giggles and grins try fitting other flywheel (even tho it's not for that machine ) to see if any binding ,,,,  looks like progress is happening ,  and culprit is being narrowed down ,,,,,      ;D     all the best ,,    Larry.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 07:25:16 PM »
I wonder how close a lawnmower crankshaft is to a simplex one, regarding the tapered nose where the flywheel mounts.  If they are the same, a guy could take a junk lawmower shaft & cut the nose off so you could mount it in a lathe.  This would provide a mandrel that you could mount the hub to so you could both measure and re-machine the notch which fits into the stamping to square it up.  You also need to check to see what the runout is on the stamping itself.
Mike Sal

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 07:31:52 PM »
 Just reviewed photos and the outboard flywheel tapered hub too big for trial fit ,    ,,, can't imagine how hub can be " off"     ,,,, can't be too hard to reproduce ,,  maybe it just needs the mating surfaces cleaned up better before brazing back together ?         Food for thought ,     We'll all sleep on it     Larry.

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 07:38:04 PM »
Wish I could do something with that outboard flywheel but the hub is drilled for a smaller diameter crank also the whole thing is smaller . I do have a 5hp. Brings horizontal laying in the junk may look at it for ideas
Jeremy c.

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 04:33:59 PM »
Haven't posted my progress on the Simplex lately because that flywheel caused me a catastrophic mental breakdown. Plus got busy at work, however I got a box and bubblewrap today , going to send it off tomorrow, with a little luck next time I see it problem will be gone. I truly thought that would be an easy fix I will be curious to know what Wayne finds.
Jeremy c.