Author Topic: high rpms on engine  (Read 2174 times)

CLWebster

• View Profile
    • Email
high rpms on engine
« on: April 29, 2012, 08:09:56 AM »
Well, I am opening myself up to looking less than knowledgeable, but so be it. For years now I've used an old Brown carburetor on my L model engine, with less than satisfactory results. Typically, the engine would race, with high rpms, and just made a raucous noise until I got it in gear. I figured the carb was sucking air from somewhere. Anyway, finally ordered a new carb from Wayne. Installed it yesterday and lo and behold, it is doing the exact same thing, only perhaps worse. It revs so high I fear for the engine. I've tried to adjust the jets - that has no effect whatsoever.

Is this typical for Simplex engines? I have not been around any other Servi-Cycles so I do not know what is the norm. Any suggestions/answers would be appreciated.

Thanks
CL Webster

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: high rpms on engine
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 09:48:16 AM »
Does the bike start easy?  Does it need the choke when cold?  Are you sure the throttle butterfly is closing up enough?  Does the motor feel like it's got decent vacuum when you turn the flywheel over by hand?

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 02:12:32 PM »
Lon.   you are welcome to give me a call ,, 314 609 6568,,,   engine might be sucking air from somewhere , but for the life of me I cant think of anything,,   I remember the odd carburetor, but it worked pretty well a few years ago ,   I remember the rotary valve was the last one wayne had and it fit very well ,  maybe try to see if there any loose screws on the round crankcase cover  or maybe the cylinder bolts could use tightening ,    worse case , send  the engine to me and Ill fix it no charge m,   I have a " mule bike " I can test run it in to make shure it's ok,    sorry you're having trouble ,  mat even have something to do with the throttle control .      all the best ,  Larry.

CLWebster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 06:51:05 PM »
Larry, hey, thanks for the offer, but there is no way I would impose on you - the bike ran pretty darn good for more than three years! You did a SUPERB job on it. Time really flies - that was approximately five years ago! Hard to believe.

In any case, got back outside today and fiddled with the carb some more and lo and behold it stopped the racing....still don't know what I did, but it worked. I was actually able to get the bike to sit there in a low idle for a long period of time, over and over again.

Larry and Sal, thanks for the advice - I will check through all the possibilities you both mentioned.

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 07:06:53 PM »
  Wish I knew what happened  , In any case ,  ??? offer still stands ,Time does not equal miles,,Glitches do occur and get by the quality control center     All the best     Larry.