Author Topic: Magneto diagram  (Read 10149 times)

jrc

• View Profile
    • Email
Magneto diagram
« on: November 18, 2011, 09:20:15 AM »
I've been following this site for a few months now. Great people and posts. This is my first post. I'm working on a '55-'56 automatic that is mostly there. My concern is the mag., points, & coil setup. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this? I'm stumped.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Magneto diagram
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 11:20:50 AM »
Wico or Phelon magneto? 

Rick

jrc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 12:25:55 PM »
Wico or Phelon magneto? 

I have the Wico. And I have the diagram which you attached. I thank you and appologize for not giving full info to start. I just received a new ignition coil from Wayne but it only has one "side" terminal on it. Can both spark plug leads be attached to that same terminal ?

Thanks again.
Randy

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 12:32:27 PM »
Wayne told me to just run 1 plug wire to 1 of the spark plugs.  Just leave the other as a dummy.  I have ran the single terminal coil and an original twin coil and it runs the same.

Here is a picture of how I ran it at first, but I redid the lower wires and ran them in the middle as they rubbed on the outside of the flywheel.

If you have any other questions, let me know and I'll see if I can help.

Post up some pictures of your bike!!!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 12:35:37 PM by RickS »
Rick

jrc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 06:07:32 AM »
Thanks Rick, I'm not set up for posting pics yet but plan to get it going. Will post pics when able.
Thanks again,
Randy

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 06:16:16 AM »
Thanks Rick, I'm not set up for posting pics yet but plan to get it going. Will post pics when able.
Thanks again,
Randy

There nothing to posting pictures.  If you have them on your computer you just add them to the reply by clicking on the Additional Options button right under the dialog box. Really easy!!
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 04:20:15 AM »
I have the phelon mag on mine.  It appears that I either make a special wrench, or use a pipe wrench to remove the pinion / flywheel nut.  It also appears this mag set up is a little more sophisticated that the Wico version.  I wonder if one of those coils could be used to charge a battery?
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 05:06:04 AM »
1 1/4" twelve point socket.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 10:22:20 AM »
Thanks rick, that sounds a lot better than taking a pipe wrench after that gear.  I'll have to look tonight to see if I've got a 12 point one (probably do).  I don't use the big tools too much anymore (but am getting ready to trade for a Case 800 tractor, so that might change).  I know that I've got at least a couple of box end wrenches that are 12 point.
Mike Sal

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 07:45:07 PM »
One thing I forgot to pay attention to was the orientation of the cam on the crankshaft.  Does the arrow next to the part number indicate the direction of crank rotation (makes sense, but ya never know)?

Here's a shot of the cam & the Phelon mag set up.  Looks like the Wico system was easier to route wires thru than the Phelon (all the wires must pass thru one hole).
Mike Sal

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 04:23:35 PM »
I have the phelon mag the center hub has pulled out of flywheel it appears to have been brazed originally ,thought I would just MIG it back on does the orientation to the keyway matter since point cam is a separate part , also why so many wires out of back of mag , one for kill switch and all the rest for lights seems like 1 or maybe 2 would be enough I can't quite see what's going on from the pictures . I do have strong spark  at both plug wires even with center busted loose I was still able to kick it over a couple times
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 06:01:08 PM »
If you blow up the image of the phelon manual, it tells what each of the wires does (ignition ground, Light wire(to switch), stop light, light wire (to coupling...?....mine wasn't hooked to anything when I got the bike)).

I wonder how in the world that hub came loose from the rest of the flywheel.  I would think the orientation might matter.  Here's a picture of mine & where the keyway is.
Mike Sal

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 06:17:54 PM »
Thanks mike
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 06:35:13 PM »
I forgot to mention that you might want to check into it before taking a welder to that flywheel....there might be a chance that you could discharge the magnets.
Mike Sal

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 06:42:46 PM »
Had nt thought of that .that may be why it was brazed. I will definitely check into that first ,thanks
Jeremy c.