Author Topic: Magneto diagram  (Read 10150 times)

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Magneto diagram
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 06:49:43 PM »
Here is a couple pics of that separated flywheel hub
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 06:58:02 PM »
I wonder if your flywheel disc might be bent a little bit?  It's sure odd for that joint to fail, unless there was some vibration to work against the joint.
Mike Sal

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 07:41:10 PM »
I think that pulled apart when I initialy pulled it the first time , that motor was a rusted mess to say the least ,sure will seem that much cooler to hear it run!  Mike , if you talk to the guys at work about those magnets see if anyone else has an opinion on the orientation of that keyway I also plan to ask Wayne ,but will probley wait a few days to call to see if my parts arrive.
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 07:53:50 PM »
Will do.  I also went to the Phelon website & sent them an email about servicing a flywheel of our vintage.  I'll be shocked if they answer, but you never know.
Mike Sal

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 12:23:50 PM »
Thanks mike
   this is my flywheel lined up in position with Larry's jig
Jeremy c.

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 12:27:18 PM »
I tried to post pics next to mikes flywheel pic ,don't know how to do that yet.
Jeremy c.

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 08:02:46 AM »
With the jig in place my keyway is at a 3,o'clock position. Mikes flywheel pic the keyway is at a 2.5 position I wonder if simplex stamped the letters in the same location each time
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 10:25:04 AM »
I'm for sure my keyway is not lined up with the gap between the 2 pole pieces (dunno if it shows up well in the pic or the drawing).  I've still not got around to asking the cad guy to make a nice drawing for me.  I'll try to remember to get that done.

My guess is the numbers & name could be stamped in no particular order in regard to where the pole pieces are located.  They would have stamped the shell with the name on it, then set up for attaching the pole pieces in no particular orientation (unless they used one of the 1/4-20 holes as a locator.....but there's no real reason to need to do that).
Mike Sal

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 11:26:53 AM »
Mike , I was concerned about the position of the lettering in regards to keyway wish we had one more flywheel picture so we could see if the 3 were all different from a front view iam going to try to brazed it this weekend using Larry's ingenious jig !
Jeremy c.

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 06:31:25 PM »
 :-\   I was thinking, ( there I go again )    maybe there might be enough meat there on that centre hub to put countersunk  1/4 x 28 countersunk screws through the flywheel to screw into the hub ?    no heat issue for shure ,  and maybe wacking on the end of the crankshaft to "uncork " the taper fit broke the flywheel hub to begin with ?  I know outboard guys swear phelon magnets come off in droves when you shock brazed magnets ,     ,,,,,wish I thought of that when I did my other one years ago ,,   maybe would have wound up with a better product ?    Any ideas or thoughts ??   ( this is better than watching tv !!!)

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 06:38:19 PM »
Nothing on tv where I live either ,had Wayne on the phone the other day he said he silver brazes them he also mentioned a hammer will shake magnets loose
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2012, 06:57:20 PM »
Who has time to watch tv......Hit an outside hydrant with the lawn tractor after I got home, because it looked like rain, so I didn't work on the building project.....broke it loose & wouldn't ya know it, but I didn't have the right size fitting to fix it.....so a 40 mile trip, one way, to the closest open store for a new fitting & a 3 foot deep hole later & we have water again.....just now got to set down to think about fun things....
Mike Sal

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2012, 07:15:04 PM »
don't need water ,   beer in fridge ! ;D