Author Topic: Cylinder Compression  (Read 2880 times)

Johngraham1213@gmail.com

• View Profile
    • Email
Cylinder Compression
« on: November 27, 2011, 11:38:14 AM »
What should the compression be on a 1953 automatic.  I have a good spark, gas is getting to plug, air is getting to cylinder, it wont run.  Any suggestions, I am stumped.  Compression on cylinder is 65 lbs.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cylinder Compression
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 01:22:17 PM »
  I went through this same problem.  I called Wayne and he told me 60-75 psi is about right.  I had good spark but could not get it to run.  Remove the compression side cover and see how much gas runs out.  Dry out the inside of the engine.  If the problem persists it may be a stuck float in the carburetor.  I was working with a rebuilt carb, so I didn't think to check this initially.  I even changed the needle and seat and still had the problem.  Finally, I checked the float height, and it was set wrong by more than 1/4"!!  A simple problem led to major frustration on my part, which I'm sure you are feeling.  Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

BTW, if you don't post some pictures, I will not help you anymore!!  LOL!!!
Rick

Johngraham1213@gmail.com

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 05:31:31 PM »
I pulled the plate off on the side and plenty of gas their.  Your suggestion was correct.  I was told the carb was rebuilt, tommrow I am pulling the carb off.  Thanks

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 06:05:10 PM »
Your welcome.  Check the float height and also make sure the float is sound and not full of gas.

Rick
Rick

Johngraham1213@gmail.com

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 07:01:12 PM »
I had gotten frustrated in not getting it to run.  I made the trip to see Wayne Mahaffey, the first time he hit the crank, it cranked.  It had been days since I tried, it had been flooding.  Wayne adjusted the carburator, corrected all the things I had done wrong, and the 2 others that had tried to restore the bike before me.    Clutch, steering column, front axle, key switch, kick stand, carburator and many other itemswere corrected. If you ever have the opportunity to visit Wayne, he and his wife are wonderful people.  His expertise is invalulable.  He has a great collection of bikes and scooters.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 08:13:09 PM »
So, what was wrong with the carburetor?  Have you taken it for some rides? Does it restart when hot without any trouble? 
Rick

RodneyS

• It just fits
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 08:24:15 PM »
Yeah more details on what Wayne did to fix your bike please.