Author Topic: Simplex Stretch  (Read 57153 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Simplex Stretch
« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2016, 07:23:51 AM »
Thanks James.  I was trying to make sure there would be no rattles in the system.  I am going to finish up the exhaust this weekend.  I am starting to run short on time before Portland.
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: April 06, 2016, 10:33:35 AM »
Finished up the exhaust system and built an adapter to mount the stock Simplex air filter in approximately the same area it would be on a stock Simplex.

I have been using my new Tig welder, but I suck at it.  Hopefully with more practice I can make some of those nice welds that others seem to do no problem. LOL
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2016, 11:02:46 AM »
Rick , Those almost look factory . I mean except for the the sucky tig welds .

Seriously . I like them both . Nicely done .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2016, 09:33:12 AM »
Rick,  does it appear you will be able to use one of Wayne's pinion covers for your kicker set-up?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2016, 10:35:32 AM »
Tom, funny you should ask.  I got a parts delivery yesterday, which included a pinion cover.  This morning I narrowed the pinion gear and moved the kicker in closer to the cover. It is going to work like factory!  The only thing I will have to do is use an adhesive to attach the cover as I am running too close to the flywheel for rivets.  I am thinking double sided carpet tape to hold it on.

Another issue I have run into is the throttle and choke cables.  They are not long nor flexible enough to connect directly to the carb.  I am thinking about building a small bell crank for each, which should solve the problem.

Updates next week as I will have no more time until then as my daughters graduate from college this weekend!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 10:10:46 AM by RickS »
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2016, 10:42:43 AM »
Congrats on the grads! 3M automotive double sided tape on Ebay it's used to mount auto side moldings. 200 mph tape. Rick C.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2016, 12:33:26 PM »
Thanks Rick!  I will order some
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2016, 02:04:01 PM »
Rick c beat me to it . That 3M molding tape should hold it . I wouldn't think that that little cover would get warm enough to loosen the tape adhesive .

Graduation ... that only takes a couple hours . That leaves about two days of time to work on the bike . ;)
Congats to you and your daughter .

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2016, 02:52:53 PM »
2 graduations 400 miles from home!
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 11, 2016, 06:44:52 PM »
In that case , double the congrats for the kids and maybe quadruple it for you , for going the distance . :)

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2016, 03:11:16 AM »
Rick the 3m tape can be baked for 30 min. at 250 degrees so not good for exhaust manifolds. lol. It's fuel resistant as well. Sets up to near maximum hold in 72 hours. Application requires a clean surface, minimum of 15 lbs pressure (briefly applied by hand or roller) & don't stretch the tape which thins the foam and reduces bonding strength. We use this stuff all the time on large trucks, mainly gravel & rock haulers, which travel some mean paths into oil well & construction sites etc. and even heavy exterior parts don't fall off!!

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 12, 2016, 04:50:53 AM »
Rick the 3m tape can be baked for 30 min. at 250 degrees so not good for exhaust manifolds. lol. It's fuel resistant as well. Sets up to near maximum hold in 72 hours. Application requires a clean surface, minimum of 15 lbs pressure (briefly applied by hand or roller) & don't stretch the tape which thins the foam and reduces bonding strength. We use this stuff all the time on large trucks, mainly gravel & rock haulers, which travel some mean paths into oil well & construction sites etc. and even heavy exterior parts don't fall off!!

I knew it was good stuff , but that^ is very impressive .

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 12, 2016, 07:12:35 AM »
One thing I forgot to mention: on larger & or heavier pieces use more tape, especially if you just have the narrow width tape. After you gain confidence in the tapes bonding strength you'll probably want to keep several rolls in varying widths on hand.                                Rick C.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: May 18, 2016, 10:09:43 AM »
This is what the pinion gear cover will look like when attached.  It is just laying there in the pictures and will not be made permanent until final assembly.  I have plenty of clearance and it look pretty factory to me.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 18, 2016, 11:02:19 AM »
Agreed , Rick ... Factory enough .

Now to get that coil covered or maybe just painted to match ? I think a cover would be better , both looks and protection .
Be easy to fab ... just a bit of aluminum flashing and a few pop rivets , done .
worth ... ;)

« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 11:04:02 AM by pd »