Author Topic: Question about patents on Simplex Servi-cycles from a new member  (Read 3975 times)

Hot Rod Harry

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Everyone, I am new to this site and I have a question about any knowledge concerning patents on the Simplex motorcycles. Anyone with info please reply. I own a 1948 with a title and I am looking to manufacture components. Thanks.........Hot Rod Harry

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Question about patents on Simplex Servi-cycles from a new member
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 09:38:23 AM »
Welcome to the site Harry!

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 10:25:19 AM »
Harry, I'm not aware of any valid patents that apply to the servi-cycle.  If there were any, they may have been assigned to Gary Wollard & he's no longer with us. 

You should call & get to know Wayne Mahaffey, our one & only parts vendor (located in Alabama).  He can give you a list of what's already on the market (he's made a lot of repop parts) and what still needs to be tooled to help support the brand.
I wish you a lot of success.  We need more parts!!!
Mike Sal

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 10:29:04 AM »
Hi Hot Rod Harry,
What parts are you wanting to make? Wayne has several that he carries. Parts needed are metal gas tanks, fenders front and rear, and maybe luggage racks. Thats my thoughts.  ???

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 10:40:04 AM »
I know that Wayne makes luggage racks.  He'll send you a catalog of what's available if you ask (The items aren't marked if they are original used parts or re-pops).

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 11:56:13 AM »
Oh a 12 volt lighting coil.   ;D

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 05:36:32 PM »
You could always make me a luggage rack...I'll put it on my bike and see if anyone sues me ;)lol

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 05:39:53 PM »
Mold a cheaper tire!!   Tank,rack and fenders next....stretch the frame for giggles too...5-6 inches.   May as well cast some cylinders  ;D...just teasing....tire is good

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 05:57:15 PM »
Mold a cheaper tire!!   Tank,rack and fenders next....stretch the frame for giggles too...5-6 inches.   May as well cast some cylinders  ;D...just teasing....tire is good

With the cost of a tire mold, there is ZERO chance of anyone making a cheaper tire!  25 years ago a few guys put up $10,000 to have Coker make the mold. 
Rick

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 06:28:27 PM »

With the cost of a tire mold, there is ZERO chance of anyone making a cheaper tire!  25 years ago a few guys put up $10,000 to have Coker make the mold. 
.  Ouch!    Okay....racks

Hot Rod Harry

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 12:49:21 PM »
Thanks guys for the imput. I have been in contact with Wayne and he's a great guy. I am looking at reproducing the entire bike. I have already started on rims and have contracted a company in Detroit to stamp the tanks and will be going ahead with the rims next. We have already measured for the frame. I will be looking to do the Zephyr tail light if possible. I am also looking at tires as well. (Coker sure is making a killing on these.) We have mocked up a bike using Honda motors and I am also looking at the 200cc Lifkin 5 speed motors too. I have to meet with the attoroney to make sure I have crossed my T's and dotted my i's. THat is why I have asked about patents. Thanks...Hot Rod Harry

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 03:34:46 PM »
Interesting , Harry .

Sounds like you're going to be rather busy . Could you please post a few pics of your 'mocked up ' bike ?

I'm sure all of us will be interested in your progress .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

old servi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 03:39:34 PM »
There is a guy in ohio named Ollie who makes a molded tail light lens. He has some sort of a home made glass pour set up and sells lens from many old cars such as fords etc. Some of his molded lens do show that they are not top original quality however.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 03:59:43 PM »
There is an old timer in Florida that had the Zephyr lens reproduced.  His name escapes me at the moment, but I wonder if he still sells them.  I think they were made of glass like the original.
Rick

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 08:26:51 PM »
Sounds really interesting, please keep us posted on the whole process and give us updates from time to time. Will you  be selling parts, or just the whole bike?