Author Topic: Hello from New York  (Read 4800 times)

Wozzer

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello from New York
« on: March 17, 2014, 08:33:12 AM »

Hello all.  I am new to the site and wanted to introduce myself.  I am the proud owner of a 52 automatic.  I purchased the bike about twelve years ago.  Did some work to it and then got a little distracted with other hobbies.  As I have fixed everything in my house this winter in the vortex, I decided to start up on the bike again.  Looking forward to being part of the community.

Greg

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hello from New York
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 08:38:19 AM »
Welcome Wozzer!  Where in NY?  I'm on long island.

Post a picture and the engine and frame numbers.  1953 is the beginning of the automatic years, so lets figure out what you have.
Rick

Wozzer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 09:05:51 AM »
Rick,
I live in the Saratoga Springs area.  My frame number is 10242.  I will get the engine number this afternoon.  Any suggestions on posting a photo.  File size is too big. 

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 09:16:45 AM »
Welcome Wozzer . :)

640x480 works nicely for me . I have them resized automatically by Photobucket . That site also provides image posting codes . There is an option on this site for clickable thumbs . Hit the preview button below the Quick Reply box . Then the + Additional Options...

Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 09:22:46 AM »
Frame number is a 1955.  Post a picture of the steering plate also, when you get a chance.  The early ones had curved sides, the later straight.  I am guessing straight on yours.
Rick

Wozzer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 09:34:51 AM »
Here is a photo after disassembly.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 09:45:47 AM »
That looks like an easy resto!  Do you have all the motor and transmission pieces?

There is the AMCA show in Rhinebeck in early June, are you thinking of going?
Rick

Wozzer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 09:52:11 AM »
Rick,
I have all of the major parts, motor,trans, magneto cover, air cleaner etc.  It just needs a little tlc after sitting for a while.  I do need a tail light and a few minor parts.  I have some good friends that go down to Rhinebeck every year, may have to tag along this year. 

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 10:01:39 AM »
Rick,
I have all of the major parts, motor,trans, magneto cover, air cleaner etc.  It just needs a little tlc after sitting for a while.  I do need a tail light and a few minor parts.  I have some good friends that go down to Rhinebeck every year, may have to tag along this year. 

Bring your bike.  I took one of mine  2 years ago and got a great reception.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 10:21:17 AM »
I'm surprised to see the curve sided anchor plate and ignition stalk.  The serial number puts it over halfway into the '55 model year.  The brake actuating lever looks right.  Greg do you know if the bike seemed original when you got it, or was it possibly made up from parts from other bikes?

Send me a PM w/ your last name & the motor number & I'll add you to the registry.
Mike Sal

Wozzer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 10:31:13 AM »
The bike was found in a barn in California by my brother in law.  It was originally red.  Not sure of history before that.  I hope to get more info later this week.  I still have the original head nut.  The ignition stalk was purchased from Wayne a long time ago.  Would like to bring it back as original as possible if it is not already frankenstien.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 10:38:18 AM »
Mike, that brake pedal style started with the 1953 model.

Wozzer, is there an ignition switch in the handlebar mounting plate?  Is there a switch in the head light housing? We need a closeup of the steering parts so we can see the switches used.
Rick

Wozzer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 10:48:06 AM »
There is nothing in the head light.  There is a hole in the handlebar mounting plate for a switch. 

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 10:54:35 AM »
There is nothing in the head light.  There is a hole in the handlebar mounting plate for a switch. 

Do you happen to have the stock switch.  I think your bike used the combination ignition/light switch, which is not available, as far as I know.  Wayne did have a replacement available for a while, but I seem to remember him telling me the company is no longer making it for him.  Since you have the tower from Wayne, might as well get the switch for that and add the toggle switch for the lights.  I won't tell!!  LOL 
Rick

Wozzer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 11:06:45 AM »
Not sure if you can tell from the photo, but I have a toggle in the handlebar mount that I got from wayne in the eraly 2000's.  I hope that it is the correct one.