Author Topic: Proud new owner of a Simplex!  (Read 5223 times)

Craig

• View Profile
    • Email
Proud new owner of a Simplex!
« on: March 28, 2014, 08:53:39 PM »
Hello everyone, I just joined today. I'm from Northern California, I teach automotive at a local college and I happen to come upon this bike through a random conversation. I picked up a 1947 simplex with what I guess is a later engine M code. I bought it for $600. clean title and all. I'm glad I found this website, since I never even heard of a Simplex before, just thought it looked cool. I will post pics in the next few days.
"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would of said faster horses"    -Henry Ford

Stafford

• View Profile
Re: Proud new owner of a Simplex!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 07:22:45 AM »
Hi Craig,
Wow.......... did you do good or what. I have a 47 also and my wife put the claim on a 56 we just purchased.
If you want to make a little money I'll give you 700 for the bike " nudge, nudge , wink, wink.
You really got a deal. I love these bikes and have been aware of them for years but, only purchased my first last December.
This is a great sight with very knowledgeable people on it. Post a few pics. when you can.
Cheers
Stafford

KICKSTART

• Ride it like you stole it!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 10:57:47 AM »
Wow, what a great find, congrats to you and welcome.

Craig

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 08:50:03 PM »
Here are some pics, tell me what you guys think or notice about it?
"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would of said faster horses"    -Henry Ford

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 09:13:52 PM »
That looks to be a real good start .

I see a PO added a pull start hub .

Is that your T bird ?

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Craig

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 09:26:43 PM »
is that what that hub is? I was wondering since it didn't match anybody elses. where did it come from? Yes that is a 1963 Tbird. My dad bought it in 1979 for $150 and I got it when I was 15 in 1998, owned it since. It has a 351 Cleveland 4V in it :)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 03:45:20 AM »
Welcome to the Rocker Clutch Club!    Definitely an earlier frame with a later motor.  The pull start hub almost looks era correct.  I know we all like kick starters but you could get away with that look! Especially if you had a jazzed up flywheel cover to begin with. Then you could just cut a hole in it to accommodate the hub.  Does your tail light lens have the clear spot on the big end.(lets the bulb shine through to light up license plate) If so it would be Simplex correct. The others without it are actually clearance marker lights that were used in the same time period. 

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 03:50:18 AM »
Does it still have the original head light switch down on the side?  (Open contact toggle switch)

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 08:20:40 AM »
That pull start hub was likely re-purposed off another type of small engine . I'd say use it until or if you find the correct setup , or just leave and use it . Just watch your pant leg . ;)

And , who is to say that the factory never tried that starting option ?

Craig

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 09:10:18 AM »
Is that what that switch is for? I thought it was a kill switch (on right side under tank). Yes the taillight has a clear section on one end. Its not perfectly clear, more of a fade from red to clear (not a straight line transition). How do you know its a later motor from looking at it? how do I start it with that then? just wrap a rope around it?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 09:11:57 AM by Craig »

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 09:34:24 AM »
Welcome to the group.  Send me a PM with the motor number & Your name & I'll add you to the registry.

That pull rope pulley probably came from an outboard motor.  Wico was a supplier to the boat motor industry for a long time, so it would be relatively easy to find a pulley with the same bolt pattern (back in those days).
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 09:36:50 AM »
About 4 or 5 feet of rope . A knot on one end and a T handle on the other . The rope fits in one of the side slots with the knot to the outside . Wrap the rope around the sheave 'til just the handle is left . Pull . Re-wrap . Then pull harder . ;)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 10:49:38 AM »
Is that what that switch is for? I thought it was a kill switch (on right side under tank). Yes the taillight has a clear section on one end. Its not perfectly clear, more of a fade from red to clear (not a straight line transition). How do you know its a later motor from looking at it? how do I start it with that then? just wrap a rope around it?

1952 was first year of Model M motors. 
Rick

Gramps

• View Profile
    • US Scooter Museum
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 09:37:15 PM »
I love that T-Bird. I bought a used black one in 63.
I think it is better looking than most new cars today.
My 1948 61ci pan with the T-Bird.
I sure miss the good old days.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 10:19:17 PM by Gramps »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right,
There's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 04:01:31 AM »
Nice looking pair Gramps!
Rick