Author Topic: Gas Tank  (Read 1938 times)

george k

• View Profile
    • Email
Gas Tank
« on: November 29, 2014, 01:57:35 PM »
So my simplex was running fine, then it quit. Pushed it back my shop and started the troubleshooting. It had plenty of gas ,but i changed the fuel filter and fuel lines, cleaned the carb. still wont start.  Then I removed the gas line from the tank and noticed gas was not coming out. My tank has two caps and is split, so I blew it out to see if there was any obstructions and it was fine. Refilled the tank and tried it again ran for a bit and quit again. The cap on the left will not come off and when I fill it up from the right I can hear the gas slowly filling the left site. So finally I realized that the right side is the reserve and when your low you lean the bike over to fill the right side. Correct ?? What is the reason for the two caps ???

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gas Tank
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 02:23:50 PM »
So my simplex was running fine, then it quit. Pushed it back my shop and started the troubleshooting. It had plenty of gas ,but i changed the fuel filter and fuel lines, cleaned the carb. still wont start.  Then I removed the gas line from the tank and noticed gas was not coming out. My tank has two caps and is split, so I blew it out to see if there was any obstructions and it was fine. Refilled the tank and tried it again ran for a bit and quit again. The cap on the left will not come off and when I fill it up from the right I can hear the gas slowly filling the left site. So finally I realized that the right side is the reserve and when your low you lean the bike over to fill the right side. Correct ?? What is the reason for the two caps ???

Depends on the year what side is the reserve.  Some have the outlet on the left, some on the right.  The reserve side is the side without the fuel outlet.

Why 2 caps?  Purely for looks.  The earliest bikes had a center fill, then moved to a side single fill, than to a double fill.  Just for good measure, simplex made some single fills late in the game also.
Rick

Gramps

• View Profile
    • US Scooter Museum
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 05:23:33 PM »
Your caps may not be vented. If not as you use fuel it will create a vacuum and stop the fuel.
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right,
There's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

george k

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 03:30:47 PM »
Thanks;
RickS, Gramps....

Running fine now, the next thing I need to do is rebuild the rear break. I searched the site and found some good leads.
Thanks for the help members....
gk

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 05:25:50 PM »
George ,

You should take a break before you rebuild your rear brakes . ;)

Pete . :)

Goes around , Comes around . :)