Author Topic: eBay sellers  (Read 3179 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
eBay sellers
« on: June 12, 2018, 06:07:29 AM »
These guys that are asking crazy prices on eBay are going to kill the restoration of Simplex bikes.  When a nicely restored Servi-Cycle brings $5000-5500, how can we possibly justify paying $300 per wheel, $500 for a front end, $200 for a seat pan, ect.  At these prices, it would take a least $10,000 to build a nice bike.

I would encourage everyone here to NOT PAY those prices, let their stuff rot on eBay forever, and maybe they will readjust their thinking of value.  These over inflated prices seem to be stemming from bnemotorbikes, which just lists things for ridiculous prices but doesn't seem to sell anything.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
Re: eBay sellers
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 08:31:45 AM »
Agreed .

Not a chance I'd ever pay that kind of money .
I'd build new first .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 09:49:45 AM »

I'd build new first .

Can't really build "new" if doing restorations, as then they are not really restored. But that does bring up an interesting question.  How many reproduction parts is too much?  I realize with rubber and wear parts replacement is necessary, but when it comes to frames, forks, ect the distinction gets blurred.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 10:33:50 AM »
True , Rick .

It seems I recall something about a given percentage of original parts for antique , but , that was for autos I think . And even that , if it applied to bikes , could/would be up for interpretation .
So , I guess it depends on an accepted definition of 'restoration' .

Vince

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 04:56:51 PM »
Totally agree, those prices are outrageous.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 12:22:00 PM »
Yea those prices are way too high. It's just about as bad as someone selling a rolling frame that is so pitted you would have a paper thin frame once you buffed them out. Did y'all see the simplex seinor that was going for under 300.00 dollars a guy taped a tank to it and upped the price to 700.00 dollars. I guess there my be a sucker out there somewhere.

Doodle Bugger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 12:48:53 PM »
Yes, I think those parts are overpriced as well, but nothing to worry about. The free market will work its magic and the one of three things will happen: they'll never sell at those prices, or the seller will lower the prices until they do sell, or a willing buyer will come along and pay those prices. I do not think any educated buyer should pay those prices, but it's not impossible that someone, somewhere might do it...certainly not me, however.

I don't think this will make any lasting difference to the restoration hobby in any meaningful way, to tell you the truth. I suspect the parts will languish on eBay for a long time. Anyone that is really into Simplex will do their homework, I imagine, and source their parts here, from fellow enthusiasts, or from Wayne before they'll pull the trigger on eBay parts with high prices.

But, at the end of the day all it takes is one guy that says "I gotta have that!" in order for the seller to realize those kind of prices.

I very carefully follow eBay for scooter & motorbike stuff (though I'm not buying Simplex stuff, so no competition for you guys) and I'm amazed at the prices some stuff I'd call scrap or junk actually sells for especially unusable frames, forks and wheels. There have been plenty of high list prices on nice items also that never sell, too. There is one particular Doodle Bug related piece I'd like to own (but don't "need") that the seller has priced far over market value (almost 3x). It has been relisted for 8 years for the exact same price with only a buy-it-now option. The seller won't entertain and offer of one cent less. Everyone that might have been interested in buying it saw it for sale years ago and decided the price was too high, but the seller keeps trying. That may be the fate of these Simplex parts.

On the bright side, at least they are for sale and not in a scrap yard headed for a crusher or on a container ship headed to an overseas steel mill.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 02:01:41 PM »
I agree with Doodle Bugger to an extent.  I think many people go to eBay, see the asking price, but don't realize the part has been sitting on there forever without a buyer.  They then list parts at similar ridiculous prices and it sort of perpetuates itself.

Check out these two bikes.  One is very nice and may sell for $5000, while the other looks to be an old, low quality restoration, that will never sell for 1/4 of the asking price of $16,500!  LOL

Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 03:45:27 PM »
Looks like another greedy clueless reprobate .

Caveat emptor , to the max .

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 05:58:29 PM »
I made an offer of $100 on the tank and he decline quite quickly with no counter offer! 

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 06:25:07 PM »
I made an offer of $100 on the tank and he decline quite quickly with no counter offer! 

I just sent him an offer of $150, let's see if he counters that one.
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 03:13:09 PM »

I just sent him an offer of $150, let's see if he counters that one.

He declined my offer with no counter offer.  Someone should offer him $125 now!  lol
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 03:39:59 PM »
Upped my offer to $125

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 06:53:20 AM »
Declined $125.  No counter offer.  I guess we left him with something to think about!