Author Topic: simplex mechanics in the pnw (southern washington or northern oregon).  (Read 2750 times)

CODY FROM WASHINGTON

• View Profile
i just recently bought a simplex 125 automatic sportsman . Has gas, spark and good compression I'm not really sure why it wont start. i even have the instructions manual for the bike and the 1953 simplex parts catalog. But any info on a mechanic definitely helps because Ive had 4 shops turn me down already.

pd

• View Profile
Welcome Cody . :)

Does the spark plug get wet when trying to start the motor ?
Have you had the flywheel off ?
Post some pics of your bike .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

CODY FROM WASHINGTON

• View Profile
yes the spark plug gets wet with gas. no i haven't taken the fly wheel off and when I can I will get pictures up. I use a flip phone and my phone can't take pictures haha. And thank you for the reply! I appreciate all the help i can get.  :)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Check for spark with a new well grounded spark plug to the cylinder top. If nothing is there I like to begin by disconnecting any sort of kill wire. Such as the key switch so you are not mistakenly killing the spark unintentionally.  Once that is cleared remove the flywheel next for a visual inspection.  If all looks secure you would want to make sure the gap is correct, that they do open and close as the crank is turned and that there isn't any corrosion.  The striker on a match book cover works great to clean those up as one should never really file those. If the engine shut off leaving the points in a closed position moisture can collect there just enough to produce a tiny amount of corrosion causing them not to make good contact with one another.  Then reinstall the flywheel enough to be able to spin the motor through and look for spark. If still nothing, well, then we can discuss more later  but that's the easy quick stuff for now!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 11:05:26 AM by kartjockey »