Author Topic: Public Service Anouncement  (Read 2883 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Public Service Anouncement
« on: August 14, 2013, 06:53:44 PM »
Tonight while riding the bike around the property, I decided to take it up the road to check top end speed (somewhat....they just oiled & chipped our road).  When it came time to turn around, I noticed I didn't have any brakes!!! Fortunately there was plenty of room & I just turned the key off & rolled to a stop.

I didn't have the 2 nuts on the rear brake arm tight, as I was trying to "break in" those new brake shoe linings I had installed & knew that they would have to be adjusted.  Well, the vibration of the bike backed off the rear nut to almost the end of the rod, meaning the brake pedal had nothing to pull on. 

So the moral of the story is to be sure and snug up the nuts on your pull rod to ensure you always have brakes (some of you have the brake rods with a clevis on both ends, so maybe it's not too bad for you).
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Public Service Anouncement
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 08:10:03 PM »
Come on Mike, that's when you use the Fred Flinstone brakes!  I wore out more than 1 pair of sneakers as a kid doing that on minibikes.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 10:24:44 AM »
My dad hated motorcycles of any kind & forbid us to go near them.  One time my brother was riding a friends mini-bike & the brakes were no good.  He ruined the pair of sneakers he had on (which mom had recently bought for him to start back to school in).  We had a good laugh in watching him squirm with a flimsy excuse on how the shoes got torn up.
Mike Sal

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 04:59:03 PM »
Mike , take the front fender off and use you shoe on the front tire to stop that is the way we use to do it. And a fresh paint job on a fresh chip seal road is a no no. Ride safe . Bill Marcum 8)

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 07:03:25 PM »
 I remember having that concave groove in my shoes from doing that !  thank you for bringing back that memory ! :D