Author Topic: solid tires?  (Read 1933 times)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
solid tires?
« on: September 27, 2013, 09:27:38 AM »
Has anyone ever tried the use of solid bike tires?  Found some websites that deals in them, and wondered how they would work out for those of us using bicycle tires and are cautious about 30mph+ speeds?  Might be worth a try...

illMATTic

• View Profile
Re: solid tires?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 09:35:17 AM »
Keep the number for your chiropractor handy.  :o

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 09:42:17 AM »
I wouldn't want to ride without air!

Bite the bullet and get some simplex reproduction tires.  I know people think they are expensive for a glorified bike tire, but if you have a blowout with a bicycle tire, you will find out how expensive medical bills can be.

Be safe!
Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 10:27:17 AM »
They aren't "solid" like tricycle tires, they are more like run flat, neoprene with air core.  Some bicycle racers in the Tour de France run them so they do have some suspension. May want to do some research before ya poo-poo them.  The owner of the local bike shop uses them on his commuter bike and says they softer riding than his normal "high pressure 55-65psi 27" road tires.  At under $40 per tire I may try a pair. He's checking for a set with whitewall and if they have a bit wider tire. (2.125 vs 1.9)   

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 10:41:23 AM »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 11:03:56 AM »
www.solidtiredirect.com has info...

Your link no worky.  Do you mean:  http://www.solidtiresdirect.com?

If so, they sell  "low duty cycle tires".  That statement alone would scare me off.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 11:05:55 AM by RickS »
Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 08:05:24 AM »
That's pretty much what my bike is.  A "low duty" bike.  A ten mile ride is about as far as it'll ever go.  Probably less than 100 miles a year at most.  Any farther than to the Post Office or corner store and I'll ride my real motorcycle.  The local seller/owners bike has got 2 seasons on his "airless tires" (he figures 300miles+) and tread is barely worn except small piece that scraped off on a pot-hole "incident" he had in town.  If/when I try them next season I will review them.  My tires have great tread left but noticed a couple possible "age crack/spider-webs" on the whitewall.  I understand peoples reluctance to try new things and/or "purists" that believe anything not original is sub-standard but I think nothing ventured-nothing gained, and worth a try before shelling out $300 for "bike tires" IMO.

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 09:58:32 AM »
Better price and info at www.airfreetires.com on this alternative.  They also sell tube replacement products if you'd like to keep your existing tires for anyone interested.