Author Topic: Are 21" rims used on Simplex?  (Read 6541 times)

ltcps

• View Profile
    • Email
Are 21" rims used on Simplex?
« on: November 07, 2013, 02:07:54 PM »
Do I remember correctly that they changed tire size ratings from the outside diameter of the mounted tire to the inside of the rim where the tipe  mounts? ie 21" instead or 26". This was the case on my moped if I remember right (been a LOOOOONG time).

I'd like to change wheelsto a spoke wheel with disk drake (or drum) on back and add a front tire with brake so I can stop.

Any suggestions?

illMATTic

• View Profile
Re: Are 21" rims used on Simplex?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 05:05:50 PM »
I am not sure of the exact measurement but it is identical to a standard 26" bicycle wheel. Any current wheelset would work. Go with Worksman rim hoops and hubs. They may even have a hub that will work with a disc.

ltcps

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 05:34:33 AM »
I have talked to them and they say they don't. Has any body ordered a set from them? If so would you post the part numbers?

Thanks

Tom

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 05:45:24 AM »
If you're wanting disc brakes and are using 26" tires you could always get a 2008 whizzer ambassador wheel or one from the whizzer NER 2008...I have them on my ambassador... It out stops my other bike easily...cable brakes too so theyre easy to set up...Yould just need a small bracket welded on

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 06:00:39 AM »
I'll take pics in a bit

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 07:09:44 AM »
Here it is
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 11:48:17 AM by RickS »

ltcps

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 01:02:07 PM »
Thanks a bunch. I'll look into it.

illMATTic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 02:07:52 PM »
Two Worksman wheels with a front drum brake on each will work as long as you do the axle conversion like I have.

Buy the wheels from worksman, buy the axles and bearings from treatland.tv and swap them out. Then, just add the drive sheave of your choice. Presto... you have the strongest wheels possible to run a Simplex tire.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 05:10:54 PM »
On the way home from work tonight I saw a kid on what looked like a new bicycle.  It had the biggest tires I've ever seen on a bike on it.  I couldn't get a great look at it, but the tires definitely looked big enough for a motorbike (I wonder what the rim width was.....they had to larger than a regular bike).  Anybody seen any of these?  The bike didn't have any fenders, but looked very shiny as though it was a brand new purchase.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 07:51:09 PM »
On the way home from work tonight I saw a kid on what looked like a new bicycle.  It had the biggest tires I've ever seen on a bike on it.  I couldn't get a great look at it, but the tires definitely looked big enough for a motorbike (I wonder what the rim width was.....they had to larger than a regular bike).  Anybody seen any of these?  The bike didn't have any fenders, but looked very shiny as though it was a brand new purchase.
Mike Sal

Fat tire sand bike, maybe?

Rick

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 04:37:45 AM »
i think wallmart sells a fatbike...I think they have 4" tires and theyre not expensive

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 03:28:33 PM »
I wonder how they would do on a servi cycle... I was looking at the Walmart bike online and you tube videos ...the tires don't look bad and the white wheels are kinda cool(36 spoke).   I should slap one on the rear of my ambassador and try it...it has the room

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 03:30:51 PM »
Btw...the Walmart bike has a street tread...not like the knobby beach ones

ltcps

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 11:08:58 AM »
Thanks a million for the Whizzer idea! I ordered 2 front wheels from them, a set of calipers and handle bars with all controls and cables for $200 plus shipping.

Great people to talk to.

Will let you know how it works out.

Any idea where to get arear sheath(?) pulley? they are out.

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 02:52:40 PM »
Yes....on eBay ...look up the sheaves and the seller "whizzerpaul"..there's some that pop up a little cheaper at times but I trust and use him. He's a good guy...tell him Bruce says hi