Author Topic: Compression test on H model engine  (Read 852 times)

Milt36

• View Profile
    • Email
Compression test on H model engine
« on: November 01, 2020, 11:30:40 AM »
Did a compression test today on my H model engine that was assembled about 10 years ago.  No new parts were used as the bore, piston and rings measured OK.  Result was 85 psi. which I think is pretty good, and power seems OK while riding.  However, I have never seen a number to compare with.  Has anyone checked their compression?  Just curious...

pd

• View Profile
Re: Compression test on H model engine
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 01:39:55 PM »
Hi Milt ,

I've read that some of these motors can run on as little as 60 pounds compression .
My '57 M model has around 90 pounds , last I checked .
In more modern 2 strokes , I see upwards of 100#s . But even those need 90#s to run decent .

We have to consider the design of the piston and head Simplex uses . Much more surface than modern pistons and I think as a result , lower compression .
Just me speculating .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Milt36

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 01:55:56 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  Since I hadn't started the bike in a couple of months, I sprayed a little oil in the cylinder and repeated the test.  This time around, it came up to 95 psi which seems to be a more reasonable value.

Milt36

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 02:32:02 PM »
For a comparison, I just checked the compression on my James ML 125cc, which has a fresh rebore, new piston and rings, and it registered 125 psi.  It starts with the kick starter with some difficulty if it sits more than a week.  The simplex is a push start model and it sometimes requires starter fluid it it has sat for a while.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 06:17:24 AM »
Oiled will bring the #s up a bit . Probably a bit more than what would be during regular use .

For a 75 year old machine , I'd say you're doing pretty good .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)